Eye TV 250....feel so ripped off.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gothamm, Mar 9, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

Please help me clarify this:

there are 2 versions of the eye tv 250. One is the original eye tv 250...and then there is the eye tv 250 plus

The difference being that the original one can't get free over the air hdtv, while the 250 plus can?

Am I right on this?

I can't believe this sh*t is happening to me =\

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, that's the difference. Up until Macworld this year only the EyeTV Hyrbrid offered over the air HD and DTV but it depended upon the processing power of your Mac. The 250 did all the hardware encoding so even the slowest Mac could use it but it didn't offer the HD feature. The new 250 plus does everything.
    Did you just buy it? When?

3. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

$85 off craigslist. The guy obviously didnt rip me off. Its my fault. Gonna try to re sell it.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well the craigslist price wasn't bad, the EyeTV 250 plus is $200.00 U.S. but you will get the new 3.0 software included.
    BTW, if you weren't blaming the seller then why did you feel you got ripped off?

5. jerry1 macrumors member

It's not just an issue when buying used. If you look around for a Hybrid and make some calls, you will find that 90% of the units being sold are still the old design that using the older software and is not clear QAM compatible. There is not easy way to know what you are buying unless it's in your hand.

I bought one from a local apple store only to find out it was the old model. I took it back and bought direct from Elgato. I also found a coupon code online and saved 10%. My new unit is supposed to show up today.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't think that's correct.

All EyeTVs should be able to get free OTA HDTV, ... just plug in an antenna.

I think the difference is that the new EyeTVs can also get HDTV channels over unencrypted digital cable (QAM), if your cable company does that.

7. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

If you really want to get POed, check out the EyeTV website. The 250 Plus was recently silently upgraded to include a QAM tuner. I was in the Apple store yesterday and they have the non-QAM tuners for sale... buyer beware.

BTW QAM allows you to receive some HD channels via a digital cable without a cable box, descrambler, etc.

8. jerry1 macrumors member

Check out my post above. If you have had it less than 14 days, take it back to the Apple Store for a full refund. Then search for "elgato coupons" on the web and order it direct from Elgato. I got the new version (after returning the old version to Apple) for a 10% discount.