Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me. I have given up with the Apple remote on eyetv as I cant get the grip of turning the menu on and off, I keep turning front row on.

I have the small apple wireless keyboard and would rather use this for all my eyetv tasks but dont want to have to use the mouse to operate the remote controller on screen.

In an ideal world I would like to reassign the following keys

F6 - Eye TV menu
F7 - Fast Rewind
F8 - Play/Pause
F9 - Fast Forward

I have tried to use keyboard shortcuts under system preferences and this does not work even to reconfigure Play/Pause from the space bar, can anyone help please?

Thanks

Mr Ski

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The space bar works fine for play pause and the numbers and the arrow keys change the channel and the letters on the keyboard are for the call letters that belong to the channel such as pressing "M" for MTV.
The rest of the keyboard commands are in the EyeTV help menu. I just checked it out and it gives all the keyboard commands you need. So open EyeTV and go to the Help Menu and select "EyeTV Help". The PDF will open and look on page 11 for most of the shortcuts but there are also more on page 7. This is all considering that you are using the U.S. version.

Incidentally Command+ESC opens the EyeTV menu.:)

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
You are an absolute star, many thanks. I guess I should have read the manual!!

As an aside any idea how to change the key board shortcuts or am I stuck with them as they are described in the manual?

Thanks again.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah I looked around and was unable to find anything that shows how to remap the keyboard shortcuts. Educated guess says that it may not be possible since the keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences pertains to the OS and Apple software.

thm2@law.george

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
System Prefs' keyboard shortcuts works!

You can assign another key to EyeTV functions (at least in 10.5.6).

Do this: Open System Preferences. Chose the "Keyboard & Mouse" system pref. Choose the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. Click on the plus sign at the bottom of the window. Choose "EyeTV" from the list of applications under the first "Application:" popup. Then type in the name of the menu item under "Menu Title:", and the shortcut you want.

It works! Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.