Eye TV On the iPhone - Wow-zers!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilnyc, Mar 21, 2008.

1. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Has anyone called up Eye TV recordings on their (your) iPhone? Don't let the simple Eye TV box fool you. The beauty is in the software.

I bought one because my DVR failed once and took all of my awesome recordings with it. My new DVR was on life support for a day -- it would not reboot. Suddenly it revived and my recordings were saved, but I wasn't taking any chances. I usually rent iTunes movies at night to watch in bed. That gets co$tly, as you can imagine. And I don't feel like downloading slow P2P files online that may or may not work.

With Eye TV's recorded shows called up on theiPhone, I can rent from iTunes less and instead record shows from my DVR to my iPhone. Tonight it's an iTunes rental. Tomorrow - an episode of 20/20.

I love this!! Do you? :D

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

yeah its really good
    roxio toast 9 also has a streamer app, that lets you stream ANY video file (including eyeTV) to the iphone!
    its really good quality as well

3. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Does this work using iTunes to put stuff on the iPhone or do you stream stuff using some sort of web interface?

Cheers

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Wow, is it just me or does your comment read like a commercial for EyeTV? Do you work directly for EyeTV, or for a marketing firm they hired?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I tried this feature for a bit and found it quite amazing, but also useless now. The BBC iPlayer pretty much made me turn the auto iPhone streaming feature since encoding is 1:1 with the shows time (on my 2.2ghz C2D) compared to no waiting for the iPlayer.

Some kind of remote slingbox style functionality would be nice. What with remote recording and then wifi watching. Could be a very good feature for travellers.

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I can't believe I didn't know about this, haha. Awesome! Now I'm wondering if a quick port forwarding on my AEBS would allow me to hit this from the outside.. I think I'll try it out! :D

7. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

It works!!! Fricken' sweet! Now I can record stuff and watch it anywhere there's WiFi! :eek::D:D

8. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Either!
    You can export to iTunes which requires a sync of TV Shows. Or you can "Share" in the EyeTV preferences to access the shows on you wifi via a stream.

The EyeTV Sharing tab shows the address to point your iPhone to. Just remember it may say something like http://iMac.local.com:2170/eyetv, but you'll need to know your mac's IP address and use it with the port number. Like: http://192.168.1.2:2170/eyetv.

Also sounds like other people have got it to work remotely by VPN'ing into their network.

9. new2mac1970 macrumors newbie

service type to use in airport extreme/TC?

I'm trying to view eyeTV outside of my network - Does anyone know which "service type" should I select in the Port Mapping screen of my Time Capsule to make this work. Thanks in advance.

10. justit macrumors 6502a

Best iPhone app, good thing I returned my slingplayer ...... can't wait to use iTablet as a $599 kitchen TV :p

11. justit macrumors 6502a

12. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

13. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Does it ever. Best (only?) Mac based tuner/recorder out there.

14. ViPa macrumors 6502a

okay what kind of tv tuner do you guys have for this? ive checked it out..looks good..but i dont see myself hooking up a tv cable to a usb thing and plugging into my macbook everytime..seems cumbersome, no?

15. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I just got the app. It works great. As for tuners, I think one of the best is the HDHomeRun. It is a dual hd tuner that works over ethernet so you can put it where your antenna / cable is, even if it is in another room.

I just installed the eyeTv software on my new mini so it would be dedicated instead of on my macbook pro. The tuners are in my garage but with a click of a few buttons eyetv was configured to access and record from them over the network. I also have a Hybrid I might plug in and use the svideo to record from my dishnetwork box. All I need is an irblaster.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have an eyetv hybrid, but it doesn't work with FiOS (switched from comcast because it ended up being cheaper after the comcast promotion ended) - which is really too bad because I'm definitely jealous of this app. Eyetv is awesome.