Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, Daffy - this is a duckhead:
app-1pk6521000.jpg

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
A busted iPad (1st Generation, gotta love those curves) 30 pin connector. What happened?!
1st generation well recognized by its curves!
It fell down several times. On the ground and even into a bucket full of water!
Fixed it with a blowdryer, pliers and various other tools. Still works like a charm :)

Last edited:

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
#18. Yes, a door hinge as pointed out
#19. Not a pen holder. Other guesses? Currently out-of-season (at least in the Northern hemisphere)
#20. Yes, one end of an Apple power adapter, plugged in.
#21. Also Apple related, specifically to notebooks....
#22. Yes, a 30-pin iPad.

Numbers 19 and 21 are still unsolved.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
#18. Yes, a door hinge as pointed out
#19. Not a pen holder. Other guesses? Currently out-of-season (at least in the Northern hemisphere)
#20. Yes, one end of an Apple power adapter, plugged in.
#21. Also Apple related, specifically to notebooks....
#22. Yes, a 30-pin iPad.

Numbers 19 and 21 are still unsolved.

21. The fold out cable management on a magsafe adapter.

19. Some type of mitten holder? :confused:

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
21. The fold out cable management on a magsafe adapter.

19. Some type of mitten holder? :confused:

You are right about #21. I shot it at the same time as #20.

#19 is a bit harder. Not a mitten holder. For all of these examples I broke the rules of shooting macro--all hand-held and all shot wide open. The DOF is extremely narrow and the ideal planes of focus for the subjects aren't perfectly parallel to the sensor. The secret for this one is figuring out what the darker vertical object is on the right. While I didn't rotate any of these images in post, might be easier to see it if you do a mental 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation in your head :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You are right about #21. I shot it at the same time as #20.

#19 is a bit harder. Not a mitten holder. For all of these examples I broke the rules of shooting macro--all hand-held and all shot wide open. The DOF is extremely narrow and the ideal planes of focus for the subjects aren't perfectly parallel to the sensor. The secret for this one is figuring out what the darker vertical object is on the right. While I didn't rotate any of these images in post, might be easier to see it if you do a mental 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation in your head :)

The leather looks to me like a wallet or ipad/iphone case. Is this the loop on the interior of a sweater/jacket/coat that keeps your belongings in place?

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
The leather looks to me like a wallet or ipad/iphone case. Is this the loop on the interior of a sweater/jacket/coat that keeps your belongings in place?

You are getting close. Yes, the object on the right is leather. Something most people would intimately associate with the main subject. This object helps keep other belongings in place (including the main subject!) ;)

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
A few more. These vary in challenge, from easy to fairly hard. Common subjects that should be familiar to everyone, all shot with a macro lens. #25 may not be totally fair--perhaps too abstract as shot.

14582033303_1e98bb2e33_b.jpg

14375376979_bbe7f25c86_b.jpg

14560334884_e2dd8d0fcb_b.jpg

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
A couple more. I think these may be relatively easy, but always hard to judge....

Screw driver handle.

Coat hanger (the neck bit where the wire is twisted)

A (very clean :p) toilet bowl flushing

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Screw driver handle.

Coat hanger (the neck bit where the wire is twisted)

A (very clean :p) toilet bowl flushing

Ouch, you responded too soon. I changed the images to make them a bit more challenging.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
OOh, ooh, I LOVE this kind of thing!

OK, here's one from me:

...And another:

Thanks!

I'm going to label your pics #26 and #27 (if you have the chance, go back and edit your post to reflect this).

I'm at a loss for both of them. For the second (#27), I'm thinking of a lens mount though not sure that really fits. Also reminded of a James Bond intro looking at the rifling on a gun barrel. But that doesn't really fit either.

Waiting to see what other people guess, but may need some judicious hints.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I got so excited when seeing this thread that I totally forgot to indicate numbers, so thank you for the reminder and I have now duly edited my post to reflect them as #26 and #27 respectively. :)

I can see why the guess at a marble, but nope, not exactly..... Actually it's probably going to be difficult for people to figure that #26 image out..... OK, let's throw out a hint here......think "reflections....."

#27 should be a little easier, and one guess has come sort of close but not quite hitting exactly right yet..... :)

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
I'm still struggling with both #26 and #27. But that's okay, part of why this is fun.

For #26 there is distortion present and also reflections. The reflections seem to be of a window with sky in the background and also of the remainder of the room in which this was shot. The distortion pattern suggests that the subject is a sphere, though it isn't perfectly spherical (but that could reflect perspective distortion from the lens used). I'm assuming the subject is solid, though it could be a liquid droplet. None of this is getting me closer to the answer though.

Maybe it's not really a sphere, but is the tip of something? Blanking on common objects that could produce this visual image. Have to keep thinking about it.

For #27, I really liked the idea of a rolled up magazine with light shining through. Too bad it's wrong :( Have to think more about this one too.

Hoping others will chime in.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm still struggling with both #26 and #27. But that's okay, part of why this is fun.

For #26 there is distortion present and also reflections. The reflections seem to be of a window with sky in the background and also of the remainder of the room in which this was shot. The distortion pattern suggests that the subject is a sphere, though it isn't perfectly spherical (but that could reflect perspective distortion from the lens used). I'm assuming the subject is solid, though it could be a liquid droplet. None of this is getting me closer to the answer though.

Maybe it's not really a sphere, but is the tip of something? Blanking on common objects that could produce this visual image. Have to keep thinking about it.

For #27, I really liked the idea of a rolled up magazine with light shining through. Too bad it's wrong :( Have to think more about this one too.

Hoping others will chime in.

Kallisti, you're in the right neighborhood with the suggestion that #26 includes a sphere, reflections from a window, etc. The whole thing is rather more complex that it appears in some ways, simpler than it appears in other ways.....

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Kallisti, you're in the right neighborhood with the suggestion that #26 includes a sphere, reflections from a window, etc. The whole thing is rather more complex that it appears in some ways, simpler than it appears in other ways.....

I was hoping that a few days away would let me look at #26 and #27 in a fresh light and give me new ideas for either. I'm still stumped (and it's driving me crazy). I feel like I either need more hints as to the subjects or hints as to how they were shot.

For #26 I started thinking about the colors present in both the foreground and background. Seem to be flipped regarding the lower right corner and the sphere. Still not coming together for me though.

Update:
Been thinking about size/scale. Is #26 a bowling ball?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.