Eyeing a 13" rMBP. Should I wait until next year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brig2221, Dec 30, 2012.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I recently won a $1,000 Apple Gift Certificate at work. Thus far, I haven't used it as nothing is really jumping out at me right now as a must have purchase. Keep in mind that I already have an iPad 4 and iPhone 5.

I've been wanting an Apple computer for some time now, and I had toyed with the idea of getting an iMac. That said, I think I would be happier with a nice MacBook laptop instead.

I've owned a 15" laptop in the past, so I know first hand that 13" is the sweet spot for a laptop (primary use plus weight/portability).

So, on to my question. I'm getting along now just fine with my Windows computers (one personal, one work), so I'm not in any dire need to get a computer at the moment, which leads me to my question. Should I wait for the next iteration of the 13" rMBP to see if they try to throw more in there to give a better value, or will it most likely be a very small incremental upgrade, and not worth waiting an additional 6-8 months for the next refresh?

I'm in no hurry to buy anything now, and have no problem waiting, however, I see no reason to wait if the next refresh is expected to be extremely incremental (very minor).

Curious what you all think. Thanks!

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

As much as I want a 13", I don't see the value in the rMBP 13". The price is too high without a discrete GPU or quad CPU.

3. M Powered macrumors regular

I don't see them upgrading the display, memory, form, or ports anytime soon. If anything I would guess probably a dual core i7 being standard and the 2.3 quad as an upgrade.

I would have love for apple to put a quad in the 13", but it would seem that is a luxury only the 15" have.

----------

I got mine on sale for 1614. So its not as bad as paying 1700, every little bit helps :)

Personally I don't care about the discrete GPU, the quad CPU is something I lust for.

4. jas2quick macrumors newbie

jas2quick

No rush? Then I would wait for the refresh next year with the next gen Intel Haswell. The iPad 4 and iPhone 5 that you currently own should be more than enough tech to get you by for the meantime. I owned the 13in rMBP for a week then decided to return it because at the end of the day, the cost didn't really match the value.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Haswell is a long ways away. Get the 13" Air!

6. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

I HATE the screen on the Air! I'm not referring to the resolution either. I had a 13" Air earlier in the year. Loved the portability, weight, and performance, but could NOT get over the terrible screen with washed out colors.

If they would upgrade the Air screen to the core MacBook screen, I would buy an Air in a nanosecond!

What is the big deal with Haswell? Just another Intel chip incremental update right?

7. MMOTotal macrumors regular

I actually wondered myself so I found this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557496

The chips should be great for the macbooks as from the article it says..

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Free $1000? Go ahead and grab it if you could use a new laptop. The 13" rMBP is great. The price is the issue. If I had a free $1k though, I would get one as well. Or you could get 13" MBA.

Congrats.

9. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I'd pass on the 13 in rMBP and just go with the $15 inch. It will be way better in the long run trust me!

10. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

As ob81 nicely pointed out, for the majority of people, the price of the 13" rMBP is the biggest problem. Most of them either can't afford it or can't justify to themselves spending that amount and they just bluntly conclude "it's not worth it" and spread this like a bad hooker spreads desease. Well, what is worth one's money or not, differs from person to person / from needs to needs... IMHO, choose the one you think you like the most ( if it disappoints, you can always send it back... but it's a lot better than getting something that "others told you to get" and learn to live with it a decision that wasn't really yours ). Just my 2 cents...

11. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

I'm happy with my 13 rMbp. I got a Great deal on the price and love the form factor. I read everywhere about no discreet graphics, but this thing has no lag that I have noticed and previously owned other MacBooks. I really like it an could recommend.