Eyes POP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by finnschi, Jan 20, 2010.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

It's simply the lighting at the moment of capture penetrating into the eye. In your photo, the face is receiving a raking light, and very little light is going right into the eye.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is primarily a lighting issue at the time of the shoot. If I had a high rez copy of this file I could do a bit with PhotoShop, but Post on eyes is difficult.

I don't think either of your reference shots have much Post going on. Lighting eyes is an art.
    Dale

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

IMO, the whites are way over-processed in both examples. You need to have a large reflective or emitive source of bright light, and you need to shoot in brighter surroundings to not have the pupil overwhelm the eye- modeling lights on strobes, or more ambient light will work.

5. Maxxamillian macrumors 6502

Any PP to the eyes should be subtle and nuanced. To do otherwise will produce an other-worldly effect, which is bad if that is not the effect you are after.

It is one thing to look cute/beautiful/innocent and an entirely different thing to look like a vampire.

Keep experimenting! Take your subject into a room with a large window and shoot while having the subject look outside. You will be surprised how easy it is to "pop" the eyes without touching photoshop.

6. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

all about the lighting! You just need some fill for the eyes