EyeTV 250 Plus Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by northy124, Mar 26, 2008.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hi Everyone

I Was Thinking About Getting The Elgato Turbo.264 But Noticed That The EyeTV 250 Plus Does Encoding As Well As Getting SD/HD Channels (Although Of No Use Until The UK Get Freeview HD).

So The Question Is Does The EyeTV 250 Plus Do the Exact Same Thing As The Turbo Or Is Less Quality/Crap Than The Turbo? Also Do I Have To Buy In The UK Or Would A US Version One Do Or Does It Not Have A PAL Tuner?

Thanks In Advance For Any Answers

Northy124

2. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

I'm not an expert with the Elgato stuff, but here's my experience so far:

I have both, bought the turbo before the 250+, and while they might have the same internal processing hardware, the software apps serve very different purposes. The turbo software only works when the dongle is plugged in to your Mac, it's designed to convert existing computer video to another format (like iSquint), and therefore probably doesn't care about NTSC vs. PAL. It's VERY fast, and I quite like the software.

I tried briefly, and I don't see a way for EyeTV software to convert any existing video file I open. The software is designed to save what it captures, and must have the correct decoder for your video signal (NTSC/PAL) in order to capture the signal.

Cheers,
    -ST