Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This should really be directed at Elgato but I reckon I'll get a quicker answer from you guys :cool:

I'm thinking about picking up an EyeTV Hybrid, which can receive digital terrestrial channels. Here in NZ, Freeview HD uses MPEG-4 and AAC, and I can't find any information about whether EyeTV supports these formats. Does anyone know?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Hmm. Not sure about that. All of our terrestrial signals are MPEG-2. I think you ought to contact Elgato about that one - or visit their forums with the questions.

I sure wish our American broadcasters would send out in MPEG4/AAC - that would make it a lot nicer. Are your broadcasts encoded as H.264? If so, then there'd be no reason to transcode the recording for Apple TV.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know whether it's H.264 or some other variant of MPEG-4. As for Apple TV, I don't own one but I was under the impression that it only supports 720p so there will be some re-encoding required for 1080i broadcasts.

Since it looks like MPEG-4 isn't supported, I'm going to contact Elgato and let them know that at least one person is interested :)

Edit: Well, according to a couple of posts on the Elgato forums, it is H.264, apparently the 720p broadcasts work in the latest version but 1080i and 576i don't yet.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
there are two other pieces of information you may be interested in

you can do encoding where the broadcaster encodes the digital content that you record. Secondly, whatever you do record you can export to any apple device that you wish

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Elgato has confirmed that there is currently no official support for Freeview HD in NZ but that it's being investigated. Fingers crossed!

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Elgato has confirmed that there is currently no official support for Freeview HD in NZ but that it's being investigated. Fingers crossed!

I wonder if they've updated this yet. I have a Miglia MiniTV or whatever-it's-called that I used a few years ago in the UK. I tried using it when I was in Dunedin a few months ago and it didn't work properly. If I get around to moving back to Auckland it would be good to have it working.

Edit: It looks like support for NZ was added in version 3.0.2 of EyeTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.