EyeTV crashing with Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ryno88, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Ryno88 macrumors newbie

Setup:
    2011 Macmini quad core with Mountain Lion
    EyeTV 3.5.6
    2 x Elgato Diversity Tuners
    LG Plasma TV connected via HDMI

After having the above setup working nicely for over a year, about two months ago I updated to Mountain Lion and have been plagued my EyeTV application crashing. I was hoping the latest update to update to EyeTV 3.5.6 would have fixed the issue but to no avail.

EyeTV seems to usually crash when the HDMI connection is activated (ie. when the TV is turned on at the start of the day). As I've found some recordings to have stopped at that point.
    Also when watching EyeTV recently, I changed the TV input to switch to the TV's inbuilt antenna and when I changed back to the input for the mac mini, EyeTV had crashed again.

So the catalyst that causes the crash definitely seems to be associated with the activation of the TV's HDMI.

Any idea's how I can fix this issue?

2. bommai macrumors 6502a

bommai

I think the problem is basically related to eyeTV not handling a monitor detection event properly. I have the same eyeTV crash under the following circumstances.

I use an iMac. I have a miniDVI to DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable connected to my NAD T775HD home theater receiver. The receiver's HDMI output is hooked up to my Epson 1080UB projector. Without the proejctor on, the NAD advertises itself as a 720p display to the iMac when it is turned on. My iMac blinks and detects the NAD receiver as a second monitor. While all the other apps are fine with it, eyeTV goes nuts especially if it is recording. I have lost several recordings in progress because of this problem!

I just tried to duplicate that same problem and could not! Weird.

3. Gigitt macrumors newbie

I was suffering from random EyeTV crashes and hangs.
    I run a 2010 Mini as HTPC with Latest EyeTV and Miglia TVDuo.
    EyeTV started being problematic - did not like quitting or behaving nice when I wanted to reboot. I lived with the issues for 6 months - worst problem was that EyeTV hang and not recording shows when I was not at home for 2 weeks!
    Problems moved through OS updates from 10.7x into 10.8

Finally thought enough is enough... clean install of OS 10.8
    Problem has gone. EyeTV working nicely now, saved recordings open and work fine.
    Must have been a bad plist or or something - not EyeTV.

Try a Clean OS install. Worked for me.

4. Ryno88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if a clean install of Mountain Lion would fix my problem.

The problem for me, seems to be that with Mountain Lion it does not seem to accept a fixed resolution for a monitor. I've tried to select it to "Scaled" in the display options, but it keeps reverting back to "Best for display".

Does anyone know of a work around for this?

5. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I have had nothing but trouble with EyeTV for the last year. it used to stream live tv to my iphone perfectly, and after upgrades, its all choppy and digitized. the only way i got around that was to downgrade to 3.5.0 and then it crashes and locks up on my 10.8 machine all the time and never records anything scheduled. on the elgato forum, they dont seem to offer up any help at all. I have almost given up on it and record to my cable box DVR and then can manually transfer it thru my eyetv box, but thats the only success I have had.