Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Miglia miniTV with EyeTV software and am looking to export recordings for storage and Neuston streaming. I want the maximum resolution possible, but in a smaller file size than the native MPEG2.

After experimenting, the DixV AVI export option from EyeTV (2.1) seems to suit my needs best. Leaving resolution as source (720x404 25fps). A 1Gb recording compresses down to about 1/3 of its original size, without significant loss of quality. However, converting a 30 minutes programme takes around 4 times that long to convert (120 minutes approx). This is using a PowerMac G4 1.25 dual.

My questions:

a) Is this the best format / method of EyeTV extraction for this purpose?

b) Is this sort of time expected. Following on from that, would an iMac Duo be significantly faster?

I'm finding information on EyeTV, specifically video extraction thin on the ground so would appreciate any advice any of you are able to offer.

Thanks!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Sorry, but I don´t have the answers to your question. I´m about to get the MiniTV myself for my iMac. Are you happy with how it works?
(It almost seem to good to be true, with the size and everything)
I hope a new iMac will b alot faster in decoding.

PS (It took my iMac about 60min to decode a 60min (DV) film in iDVD for burning, quality set at highest)

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Encoding

I must admit - I think that does seem a bit slow. it takes times the video length for DivX? What 0.25fps encoding at SD? That is pretty low. I would expect a dual 1.25 G4 to be faster than that. Do you have QuickTime Pro? You'd have the DivX and X.264 encoding available to you if you like - a better idea in my opinion.

Depends on your needs I guess.

:)

page3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
yoak said:
Sorry, but I don´t have the answers to your question. I´m about to get the MiniTV myself for my iMac. Are you happy with how it works?
(It almost seem to good to be true, with the size and everything)
I hope a new iMac will b alot faster in decoding.

PS (It took my iMac about 60min to decode a 60min (DV) film in iDVD for burning, quality set at highest)
Hi.

Yes, very happy so far with the miniTV+EyeTV combination. It really is excellent, although not perfect.

I've sent feedback to Elgato, although I've no idea what sort of Company they are with respect to acting on user feedback.

I really could do with a menu bar icon that constantly shows the status of EyeTV (recording etc) with a countdown to the next scheduled recording. I'd also like the programme Guide to be improved in functionality - its OK, but not a patch on TiVo (series 1)+TiVoWeb. It wouldn't do any harm to have UK localisation too - 'Programme' not 'Program'!

It really is amazing for such a tiny device though.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
page3 said:
I've sent feedback to Elgato, although I've no idea what sort of Company they are with respect to acting on user feedback

They are absolutely shocking when it comes to acting on problems. The El Gato EyeHome hasn't been able to show photos properly since Apple released iLife 06 back in January, they seem to just update whenever they want to, not when an update is needed. There are plenty of bugs in both the EyeTV and EyeHome software that should of been addressed months ago. I recently installed Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a computer here to have a look at and I tell you what nothing from Apple or El Gato comes close.

As for the time your machine is taking to transcode from mpeg2 to divx you have a slow machine, my Power Mac Dual G5 does around 50 to 70 fps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.