EyeTV experience?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bootsie, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am looking to get this Eyetv hybrid for my MBP when I get it, but I would like to here about your experiences with this device, and how it works.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../mac_accessories/video_devices&nplm=TK661LL/A

How is the signal with rabit ears? (I have a pretty strong local over-the-air HDTV signal, with this pick that up ok?)

I do not have cable or satellite TV, I just use a TV antenna in my attic to pick up the HD signal for the local stations, can I just plug the coax from that antenna into the Eyetv?

Any other user experiences good, or bad?

Also, would it be better for the money to go with this? Less portable, but maybe better?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../mac_accessories/video_devices&nplm=TN624LL/A

Thanks for you help. :)

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I have the EyeTV Hyrbrid and love it. There's no built-in antenna, I'm not sure what gave you that impression however you can use rabbit ears or plug in your cable and receive cable stations from your cable provider and receive HD stations with or without a set top box. Works best on an Intel based Mac for HD stations as HD can take up some system resources.
    The software works very well with no crashes.

3. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Great, thanks for you input! Yeah, I don't know why I thought that either. :rolleyes: I went back and reread it, now I see that it is not built in, I will edit my original post. :)

4. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Anyone else have any experience? The reviews on this seem to be good, but I would like some real world judgments.

5. mbrydone macrumors regular

do you just plug in the cable direct from the wall??

6. watanabe macrumors newbie

I believe the difference between the 2 is the 250 has a hardware mpeg2 encoder, to help with older hardware. So probably the Hybrid is a better choice for you from that point of view.

You can check here for the differences according to Elgato, the manufacturer.

http://elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/compare.en.html

If you get the EyeTV hybrid, I would make sure to get the newer version with ClearQAM support. You won't need ClearQAM since you don't have cable, but its newer tuner hardware too, for the same price.

Unfortunately, its not clear if Apple TV has stocked the new one. OWC has the new model, or Elgato sells direct from their website.

In regards to the antenna, I think your assumption is correct, just plug the coax in and away you go.

The Elgato website answers a lot of these questions, I think. They basically rule out mini-antennas.