EyeTV export is buggy

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FourBagz, Apr 24, 2011.

1. FourBagz macrumors newbie

Before coming to this forum I've spent literally at least 15 hours this weekend trying to get this working myself by watching countless videos, searching so many websites, and just plain playing around with as many different settings as I could think that might fix it. So any input from another person would be very much appreciated.

My Setup

Playstation 3
    Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 (ordered from Amazon a week ago)
    EyeTV
    MacBook Pro (2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3)
    iMovie '09 (came with my MacBook Pro)

The Problem
    I recorded a 30:33 minute clip and tried exporting in the following ways:
    1. H.264 (native)
    2. "QuickTime Movie" (using H.264)

H.264 native always imports smoothly into iMovie but for some reason the length of the exported clip is shorter than the original by 10 seconds (30:22) which means my live commentary, while synched at the beginning of the video, will become out of synch later in the video (not sure if it becomes progressively worse or if it happens at a single point in the video). I'm also not sure if the video is missing frames or if the entire video from end-to-end is actually playing slightly faster than the original speed.

QuickTime Movie using H.264 exports smoothly out of EyeTV (maintains the original length of the clip) but fails to import into iMovie with "The file will not be imported. It is not compatible with iMovie.".

However, if I export just 10 seconds of the clip with the same QuickTime Movie/H.264 option that iMovie rejected earlier, it imports just fine.

I believe I've tried other export options but I won't list them here because I'm not 100% sure about them yet, I need more time to play with them. Many of them didn't import into iMovie. I've tried so many things. I wish I could trial Final Cut Express to see if it'd fix my import problems but I don't want to spend $200 only to find out it doesn't work. I also know there's an iMovie '11 but again I don't know if that'd fix any of this.

One thing to note is that I saw someone on YouTube mention he had problems (didn't mention what they were) in using the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 he purchased from Amazon. Mine came with no remote (the box did not have a photo of the remote like it does on the manufacturers homepage).

I've e-mailed Hauppauge and EyeTV to try and help me understand what's going on.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

H.264 video is not designed for editing. I'd use a different format if you want to edit it.