EyeTV export is jerky

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwt, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

Don't know why, but every format I've exported to (Divx, H.264, MPEG-4, WMV) has jerky playback except if I export to a MPEG Stream (basically untouched from the broadcast). I'm on a mac pro, BTW. Also, VLC shows no lost frames. Anyone else experiencing this? Solution?

2. hualon macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem and it's severely irritating. I too have a Mac Pro 8x2.8. No dice.

The odd thing is that HD broadcasts seem to record OK but the standard definition stuff all is jerky and stutters.

Anyone?

3. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

I take it you mean really, severely jerky?

Not just the jerkiness you sometimes get with fast motion combined with low-bit rate compression?

What bit rate are you using? (Although looking at your computer specs, I assume you know what you're doing.)

4. hualon macrumors 6502

EyeTV has an drop-down menu that allows for dead-simple ATV encoding. If the bitrate and encoding mechanism is published I can't find it.

And yes, by jerky I mean that the video looks like frame-drop. Remember when the first HD video samples were up on the web 5 years ago or so and we all had 1.5GHz machines? You tried to play the video and the CPU just couldn't keep up. The result was that it would barf out 3-5 seconds of video and then jump around a little bit and barf another 3-5 seconds.

It looks like everyone is doing The Robot dance.