EyeTV exporting: should it take so long?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rspeaker, May 9, 2007.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Last night before going to bed, I set four shows in EyeTV to export; I figured they would be done by the time I woke up eight hours later. When I got up this morning, about 1/3 of the first show (2 hours long) had been exported. Should it really take that long?

I want these shows in the best quality possible, as they may be burned to DVD eventually, and they may also be used in the classroom (I'm a prospective high-school teacher.) The settings I am using are:

H.264 (Main profile - don't know what this means or how important it is)
    Encoding mode: best quality
    Data rate: 2000kb/sec
    Image size: 768x576 SD
    Frame rate: 29.97
    Key frame: auto
    Audio: AAC, 192 kbps
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 48.000kHz
    Quality: best

I've got a Rev A Intel iMac 1.83 CD, 1GB RAM. My HDD is getting full (about 7GB left).

If anyone has ideas to speed up the process while keeping high quality video and sound, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It takes me an hour to encode a 1hr film (2 pass) with Handbrake on a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro using the Apple TV settings with anamorphic video enabled. Eight hours seems reasonable for a computer with 2 less cores, less RAM and very little hard drive space left for swap.

Although I would expect it to be slightly faster than that to be honest. Maybe you should try cleaning up your HDD and doing some maintenance on your computer.

Don't forget that encoding video is one of the most CPU intensive tasks most people do on their computers.

3. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

I moved my Eyetv recordings to my external (cleared up 50GB REALLY fast), and I've started to export the same program that was just 1/3 through exporting after 7 or so hours. We'll see where it's at when I wake up tomorrow.

What "maintenance" would be helpful here? All I ever do is the stuff inside the Disk Utility...