EyeTV Full Home Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Punkwaffle, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

Hi,

I'm going to attempt to set up my house with a mac mini server to take care of DVR, home automation, and phone service. I've been doing a lot of research in the forums here and other places, but was hoping someone could answer a few of my questions.

Basically, I would like to take a mac mini and connect and EyeTV 250+ to it and record from my digital cable. I understand I need an IR blaster for it to change the channels on the digital cable box.

1. Is the IR blaster reliable?
    2. Do I also need El Gato's Turbo.264 to convert for Apple TV (to be used in another room to view recorded shows)?
    3. Will it stream to Apple TV from the mini's hard drive?
    4. Can I set it up to automatically convert and send recordings to iTunes by default, or must I check that option every time I set a recording?
    5. Will the onscreen tv listings interface allow me to set options for recording, or will it take me to the standard eyetv interface to set options?
    6. Is there a 30 second skip button or an automatic commercial advance?
    7. It TitanTV the only way to remotely schedule recordings?

I think that's it for now. Thanks to anyone who can help me with these.

2. darthmullet macrumors member

Don't know about 1 or 3 but I can help with the others I think. I use an EyeTV Hybrid and it's great. (250 is much better i think though)
    2. Do not need it, it helps speed things up I think.
    4. I don't think it is checked by default or can be. However, you can set any recording to convert and send to itunes/apple tv automatically when complete very easily.
    5. I don't think you can set up recordings from the apple tv.
    6. Yes, you can set the skip to whatever you want. I set it for 30 or 45 seconds and set back for 5 or 7 seconds so i can skip ahead a bunch then back a little if needed. (no auto advance that I know of though)
    7. As far as I know.

One question though: why bother with the apple TV if the mini is only used for these things? It might integrate better with EyeTV if you just skip the apple TV and use the Mini straight up with the TV. (It would work for live broadcasts too then, allowing you to pause live TV, as any good DVR lets you do.) I use my MacBook Pro like this (dvi->hdmi, eyetv and surround sound card) and it works well, no apple tv needed.

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I believe the AppleTV is to view the shows recorded on the Mini/EyeTV in a different room, a lot cheaper than getting 2 Minis

4. Punkwaffle thread starter macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

Exactly. 1 tv downstairs with the mini, and an apple tv in the bedroom.
    I'm also thinking of getting the Dinovo mini for controlling the mini from the couch.

let me rephrase 1 of my previous questions:

Can i get an EyeTV option to show up in Front Row, and if so, can i access the onscreen tv listings from within that interface and get it to record?

Thanks.

5. darthmullet macrumors member

as far as i know, no. you must use either the remote scheduling(TitanTV, which sucks) or the eyetv software itself. i have eyetv set to work integrally with frontrow, but it has to use the eyetv app for doing live tv or recording. you only have access to recorded material from within frontrow (you can select live channels, but this launches the EyeTV app and uses it in fullscreen). (this is how it works on a mac, don't think it would be any different on an AppleTV, but i could be wrong.)