EyeTV HDHomeRun

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matthewmystar, Jan 2, 2008.

1. matthewmystar macrumors newbie

I am getting a new 24 inch iMac and I want to be able to use it as a TV with DVR. EyeTV looks like what I want to be able to do but I am confused about some stuff and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

1.) What type of cable service do I need to have? Right now I have digital cable with a typical cable box.

2.) Would all of my channels be available and would I be able to change them through the iMac and not the cable box? The EyeTV tuner and the cable box would need to be in a different room than the iMac would be.

Thanks in advance for any help. This seems like a great setup for my wife and I but I want to be sure its going to work before I spend the money on it.

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

1. Doesn't matter.
    2. If you eliminate the cable box, you will only be able to receive unencrypted digital cable channels, which is not much more than local stations on most cable systems.

3. matthewmystar thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick respsonse.

So basically to receive all the channels I would need to use my cable and I would have to change the channels from the cable box not through the eyetv software correct?

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

That is correct. The only way to change the encrypted digital cable channnels is via the cable box or with a device that supports a cable card, like the Series 3 Tivo.

To be honest this is the only thing holding me back from a Mac based PVR. My Series 2 Tivo (with Tivo Basic Service, so no monthly fee) is dying and until I can tune digital cable without the box, I am going to switch to a Series 3 or HD Tivo since they support cable cards. And with Tivo to Go I can still transfer recordings to my Mac and watch them on my iPod. This is a great solution, it is just more expensive than an elgato solution and requires a monthly fee.