EyeTV Help! (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Washac, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Washac, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Just bought an EyeTV Hybrid, set it all up and all I seem to receive is the old analogue
    5 channels, it does not seem to want to pickup the digital Freeview channels. After doing
    a scan and finding the 5 terrertrial channels it tells me that it is switching to analogue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this.

As it states in the title I am in the UK.

I am using an indoor ariel but I have another tv not 15 feet away that picks up digital TV OK.

I think I maybe doing something wrong but what I have no idea :(

Do I need to connect a Freeview box the the EyeTV ?

2. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thanks for reading but it seems this is just another useless junk gadget that does not work, well not for me anyway :(

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Did I say HD channels, no.

It just would not pickup any digital channels not one :(

Since posting have even tried a far better ariel than it comes with, and barely got one terrestrial channel, sorry but this
    may work in the US/Canada etc, but it sure does not work in the UK, should come with a warning, well not for me.

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I believe you need to auto tune both sides separately, it seems as though you are stuck on Analogue and thus the only channels you are able to see are the 5.

If you go into the device preferences (EyeTV menu > Preferences > Devices)

There should be the option to switch between the two modes.

Heres the guide that Elgato have on their site:

Link

Scroll down to the bottom to see the image of the device settings.

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thanks, but yes I did all that.

It is all packed up awaiting collection to go back to whence it came, Apple.

I wasted so many hours yesterday trying to get the thing to work, I have other things to do.

7. diminiko macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

I have an EyeTv diversity which has 2 digital tuners rather than an analogue and digital combo. I have been using it in south London with the included indoor areal and pick up around 20 channels plus radio no probs.

I can't comment on the hybrid but if you are still keen for a tuner on your Mac I can recommend the diversity.

8. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, but had my fingers burnt with one of thier products so I am not buying any more :(

9. sk8mash, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

If you have followed the instructions and it's not working, then your aerial is rubbish.

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'm in the US and own the EyeTV hybrid 2008 version. I use it with a HDTV antenna and can pick up about 35 stations. I use it with cable and can pick up the qam stations that comcast has decided not to encrypt. As someone pointed out there are different settings for analog (which we no longer have here) and digital and cable (and a set top box). You need to auto tune each one. Here in the US I bought a DB2 antenna for about 35 bucks from amazon. I hung it on a wall and it does a really great job (plus it's small and weighs less than a pound).

You may have just gotten a bad one. If you go to the support section of the eyetv web site you can get help.

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You should also check that your version of eyetv hybrid is the international version and not the us one. My tuner would not work in England the signal is in a different format.

12. Giuly, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I don't think so. They use ATSC, not DVB-T.

However, I'd try to enter the start frequency for the scanner manually, and update to the last software version.

Also, "Not more than fife channels" depends. In the EPG screen (the one with the TV guide)? Well, then you don't have EPG for all channels. In the real channel editor? You might didn't choose DVB-T from the dropdown menu in the lower section of the editor.

Alternatively, get a EyeTV Free Sat and a cheap antenna. With that combo, you even receive Freesat outside the UK (I love, love, love Film4 and I'm still waiting for Film4 HD on Freesat :rolleyes:). That means that you probably pick it up with a 1'5" dish in the UK. I need 3'5", but it's still worth it.

Besides, Elgato's support is probably one of the best out there. But you just gave up. Never mind.

13. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I DID try another indoor ariel that I have that works fine on a TV here and picks up digital OK.

Infact when this ariel with boosta was tried on the eyetv it got worse and went down to one terrestrial channel with a crap signal.

Look TV is really is not important to me these days it is all crap, I just wanted something so I could view the odd program when I am doing my painting hobby.

I do not need to wind programs back, nor do I need to record TV because as I say it us mostly crap these days.

Being a complete nub at the time of buying this gadget I did not realise I could just stream the progs I want over broadband, that will do for me :)