Eyetv Hybrid 2009 - NYC Reception

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ellen, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying this to move between my Macbook and iMac.

Was wondering if anyone here is in NYC and has been using it or an earlier version without connecting it to a cable box. I have a cable box but it would be nice to get some reception without having to be close to my cable box/TV.

Also, to get over the air reception would I need an antenna? (Assuming I could get over the air reception in NYC - hence my question above.) I confess I find the info on their website confusing, and it cuts against the portability of the product if you really need an antenna to use it - but I can't tell.

I noticed the European version (DTT) had a neat little antenna attached, but I gather that would not work here.

Thanks in advance.

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Ya you need some sort of an antenna. Bunny ears will pick up ATSC signal just fine especially if you are in NYC.

Hybrid is just a tuner, needs antenna or cable to work.

3. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where would I connect the antenna?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

You should be able to plug your cable directly in and pick up the locals in HD.

I have Time Warner in Manhattan. I don't have one of these, but a tv with a HD tuner, i'm able to get the locals in HD, there are a few other channels, but i don't remember what, TW is very stingy with what they give you.

the locals are on 1-__ so CBS (channel 2) is on 1-2.

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

the coax connector on the tuner.

6. bwilliams18 macrumors newbie

I use it in NYC(UES) connected to the wall and all i get is NBC CBS FOX 13/PBS and some sketchy channels where the cable box is supposed to have Food Network ect