EyeTV Hybrid + Freesat

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Roobsa, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Roobsa macrumors regular

I bought the EyeTV Hybrid under the impression that I could use it with my Freesat box however after the product arrived I wasn't able to get it working. After a few hours of browsing the net, I still wasn't able to find any answers as to how to get it working so I thought I'd ask here and try to get a definitive answer.

I found this posted on a websites FAQ:

I assumed that I would be able to get it working as Freesat is a digital satellite service (right?).

Could anyone clarify whether I am able to get Freesat working through the Hybrid or whether I have just spent £100 on something that's useless to me?

Any help is appreciated.

2. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Id imagine that as long as it has an analog connection (scart/composite) it should be able to work with the hybrid. Ive never seen a freesat box, but the connection that normally goes to your TV's scart socket should be able to be used on the EyeTV hybrid. Have you definetly bought the PAL UK version of the hybrid as I know that the US version has a slightly different connection.

BTW im planning on getting one myself, so if you need to sell it let me know :)

3. Roobsa thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah definitely got the PAL version. I'll give it a few more days to try figure this thing out and if I can't get it to work I'll send you a PM about buying it.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

you will definitely be able to use the analogue input of the hybrid and tune it in, but obviously on one level that defeats the point lol, though you would get all the channels despite a loss of quality. The other remote possibility (though i dont have the specific knowledge of the decoder, is if it uses the dvb-c standard which the new hybrid can now decode, but this would have to take into consideration of the plugs (if they are proprietary), if it actually does use dvb-c at all and if it uses a card of some sort, in which case elgato would have to 'license' to make compatible hardware. short answer is analogue is probably the only way to go for now.