EyeTv Hybrid - newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lparnes, Aug 15, 2007.

1. lparnes macrumors newbie

Hey - I just bought the Hybrid and I was under the impression that it is "tivo for macs". Let me first say that I connected EyeTV to my cablebox through S-Video. However, whenever I try and record a tv show, the channel on my cablebox must match up with the channel I want to record. For example, If I want to record channel 4, but I am watching channel 51 on my tv, EyeTV will record channel 51 even though I programmed it to record channel 4. Can anyone help me out? Can I watch live TV on a different channel than what I want to record?

Thanks in advanced

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

In order for EyeTV to work like a Tivo, you have to run the coaxial cable from the wall straight to the EyeTV. You could split it so that you don't have to disconnect your cable box.

However, the EyeTV is not able to view "digital cable," which most premium channels are. Only your cable box can get digital cable channels. So if you were to connect your cable directly to your TV (bypassing the cable box) and scan for channels, those are the channels your EyeTV would be able to get.

If you really have to be able to watch "digital cable" on your Mac, the way you're doing it now is unfortunately the only way. Digital cable is heavily encrypted and there is no device for Macs or PCs that can decrypt it - only your cable box can.

3. anthony113 macrumors member

hmm.. i have one of these two running with the coax directly to the eyetv hybrid.

the previous poster is correct in stating that in order to record tv shows according to a schedule the hybrid must be connected directly to the coax.

now, you can still record tv through the svideo connection but you have to stay tuned on the channel you want to record. by using direct coax, the eyetv will automatically tune to the channel and begin recording.

this makes me wonder though, if you're able to watch a channel and record another while the eyetv is connected only through coax. hmm..

4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

The EyeTV only has one tuner so can only tune to one channel at a time. You could however split the coax from the wall between the EyeTV and the cable box, and watch different channels on the EyeTV and the cable box at the same time.