Eyetv hybrid or 250?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mwxiao, Dec 13, 2007.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

I want to buy an Eyetv product for my Mac mini. But I couldn't decide which one to go, eyetv hybrid or eyetv 250.

Anyone know the difference? I noticed that eyetv hybrid uses mac's CPU to process. Since my mini is a core solo, I figure it would be better to have a eyetv 250.

Aye suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Hybrid does HD, 250 does not. Your Mac Mini is fast enough for either.

3. /\/\ macrumors regular

Good question!

I also plan to buy a tv-card. I just found the "Hauppauge myTV.PVR". Does anybody have some experience with this card?

Is the performance of this USB-tv-cards ("Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS FM" or "Elgato EyeTV Hybrid TV card / DVB-T USB") good? Because it's USB?!

Any experience? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

4. /\/\ macrumors regular

5. demallien macrumors regular

The Terratec and Elgato products are actually the same thing rebranded. The USB connection is USB2, and is mmore than fast enough to transfer a video stream reliably to the computer.

6. demallien macrumors regular

The hybrid is for capturing a digital signal. Whilst it is true that older computers have a loss of quality when using an EyeTV to record an analog TV signal, due to the work needed to do the signal conversion, this problem does not present itself for digital signals - they're already in a format usable by a computer.

That's the theory, and having had an EyeTV EZ(analog), and then upgrading to an EyeTV Hybrid, both running on the same iMac G5, I can tell you that the Hybrid will give you a better quality recording (provided your antenna is good enough!).

Of note, you are probably planning on plugging in either a STB for cable, or a games console (well, I'm guessing that's why you want a Hybrid!) - some people say that the small delay introduced by the EyeTV makes playing games difficult. I personally have never had any problems, except that sometimes rythym games are a little more difficult than normal (no Dance Dance Revolution for you!)

I actually use my iMac/EyeTV combo as my one and only television, and I'm perfectly happy with the setup.

7. /\/\ macrumors regular

no I am not dancing :D

thanks for you post

I just have an old windows machine, which will be replaced by the new mac pro. ;) So I am looking for a tv-card, because I also have no "real tv".

I have cable-tv and I also want to plug-in a "tv-box for digital tv" sometimes.