Eyetv Hybrid Ps3 Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by invertedparadox, Nov 25, 2011.

1. invertedparadox macrumors newbie

Hey there

This just happened today. I received my Eyetv Hybrid in the post and plugged it up to my Ps3 and Macbookpro, like instructed and I turned it on and the screen was a bit fuzzy but eventually it worked just fine after a few seconds. Then the PS3 went Yellow light of death then started blinking red. It wont work anymore, just goes green, very quickly yellow, then to blinking red. I cant believe it. The PS3 was fine until I used the Eyetv.

What happened do you think? Im really curious as well as upset.:confused::mad:

2. GTANJ macrumors member

This sounds more like a PS3 problem then a MBP problem..

3. invertedparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what i think, but im just wondering if this is a common problem. It was to much of a coincidence for the eyetv not to be related to the problem. Hoping for some reason behind it, if there is any connection. But yes ultimately its the PS3 that is the problem. I havnt even used it yet.

Gutted :mad:

4. matt94gt macrumors member

man that sucks, whats the eyetv all about, ive seen a short commercial before but does it actually work?

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

They only way I can think of relating these events is if you did not use a HD set before. If you were using a standard def set this whole time, and cranked the resolution up via the new device - that may have put additional load on the GPU that was never there before.

The short of it is, likely a coincidence. The YLOD is pretty brutal, especially that it's tied to the older (and better) systems. The new ones are junk compared to the launch 60. Even the bluetooth audio sounds better - which does not make any sense...

If its any consolation - for games, this would have been a pretty terrible experience anyhow. The added latency would have made gaming pretty difficult.

6. Todthebod macrumors member

WHat's this eyetv thing? Are you trying to stream tv from your mac to your ps3?

ps3 media server is what I use and it's free.

ps3mediaserver makes the computer do the conversion so the ps3s load is low. If the eyetv makes the ps3 do the conversion then that's why it's toast. Did you try all the hard resets and factory restores?

If it's still ylod then you can take out the MB and do a solder reflow on the chips to get it working again. I've done several.

7. invertedparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your thoughts, you are correct that the quality would be poor, I never actually got around to playing so I couldnt confirm whether the latency would of been adequate or not. I knew the quality would of been below par. It was really just the fact it was portable. That was my only idea. I know a tv is a better investment, financially and quality wise. But in this case it wasn't.

Thanks for all your help

and Matt94gt
    Eyetv is a device for the mac which allows you to play consoles on your macbook screen. Its usually used for recording, but that wasn't my reason.
    Although I would think twice about getting one now. Its a heafty expense in my opinion. But i thought It was worth it :(

----------

could you point me in the right direction in how to do that. I can solder, but im a chemist not an electrician. So it is a little out of my expertise field:eek:

The eyetv wasnt for streaming media, it was to use the macbook pro screen as a TV for the console for the reason i mentioned above. Im a little disheartened by all of this :(

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Before you crack the PS3 open - it may be worth while to contact Sony. I know a few people who had this issue, and Sony fixed it flat-rate. But if you crack it open (the warranty seal) they won't offer this service.

9. invertedparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the sad news about that is that I got this of ebay with the seal already removed, I noticed this when i got it. I had an inckling that this would happen though. It seems to be a pretty common thing. What do you think I should do. Todthebod mentioned that I should reflow the Board. Would you recommend this. Since its an old version, warrenty has probably expired almost 3 times over by now. Or should I just flog it for spares on ebay and put it towards a new one?

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

11. Todthebod macrumors member

As far as reflowing the board.........it doesn't involve soldering. Really you're just taking out the board, laying it perfectly flat, then running a heat gun around 4 chips for 15 seconds each to let the solder melt and make better connections. Gilksy on youtube has the best tutorial and really it's not that hard.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

That being said, the fact that you got it with the seal removed tells me that this has already been done. I'd say just get a new PS3 and keep this for parts or to tinker with. For future reference, you can heat the warranty seal with a heat gun and it can be removed and replaced intact.

Sony will fix your unit for $150 (you'll just get a different refurb).

12. matt94gt macrumors member

Sorry but why play PS3 on your macbook?