EyeTV Hybrid Questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dannyboxer, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Hello, tomorrow along with a iMac I am thinking about buying the EyeTV Hybrid.

Does anyone in the UK have this and what is the picture quality like?

Also, does a TV cable have to plugged into it or does it ship with a aerial?

What channels can be received? is it just like a normal TV with all the analogue channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5) ?

Also, can a game console be plugged into the USB dongle, like a PS2?

I don't have much time left to make my decision, so can all you knowledgeable people please help me.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

1) Picture quality is great, when the signal is good. Degrades when you have poor signal though.

2) eyeTVs ship with a small aerial, but it's pretty pointless - you won't get all the channels, and signal will be hit and miss. I use mine with the house feed.

3) Freeview!

4) Yes, using the composite cable breakouts. Don't expect HD though (ie: PS3/360).

3. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

So, there's no point me buying a eyeTV hybrid because I don't have cable in my room?

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Just depends how good the digital signal is in your area. For a lot of houses people have to connect to the roof aerial in order to get a decent signal. You may not need to. I find the tv quality to be pretty good, and the eye tv software that comes with it is brilliant. Allows your to schedule and record tv programs, also pause, rewind tv etc.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Depends how good signal is in your room, and if you can get a feed from the roof aerial. You can always go to somewhere like Argos and get a powered portable aerial instead of using the tiny one that comes with it.

6. Barricuda macrumors newbie

EyeTV is on sale today for CAD $98 in the Apple canada store.... wondering how it compares to a slingbox (is there a slingbox for mac?)