Eyetv Hybrid Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ellen, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

If anyone has the Eyetv Hybrid 2009 (or earlier), I would welcome your advice.

1. Right now I have the device connected to my bedroom cable box via coaxial cable - because that's the only cable I currently own that's long enough. I have a small TV in this room and it is not HD. Would buying an S-Video or composite cable really make a difference? The quality on my iMac is not what I would consider excellent - though I am more interested in recording quality than watching quality, if there is a difference. Watching TV is not a priority since I have to be near the cable box (unfortunately).

2. I didn't realize that if I use the cable box, the Eyetv software can't control the channels - which is a bit cumbersome. I was wondering if anyone here uses an "IR blaster" - though I am not really interested in spending more money.

3. While I have cable, even I am confused by the digital changeover if it happens this month. Do I need to change the Eyetv settings?

I am also disappointed in the FM tuner - many local stations are just static.

So I am not sure I want to keep my new toy - but if anyone has an Eyetv Hybrid and likes it, maybe you can persuade me otherwise!

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

It sounds like you're connecting your Hybrid to the cable box. While this is fine, you'll need a blaster to make that type of setup work.

The other choice is to split your cable (before your cable box) and run a line to the Hybrid. This should allow you to tune analog stations and Clear QAM HD stations. (Play around with it in the EyeTV setup assistant and see what happens.)

DTV - doesn't matter if you have cable (nothing will change)

3. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Though if I don't run things through the cable box, I won't get any of the premium channels, right? I would just get the free ones? (And I would still be tethered to a cable.)

Am I also right that I can't record HD this way? My living room TV is HD, but I would still have to connect to the cable box - S Video is the best I could do?

Thanks again.

4. tefleming macrumors 6502

You should be able to get broadcast and basic cable stations in analog (*maybe* in digital - depends on provider) if you connect directly to the cable outlet. You'll for sure be able to get the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) in HD because of Clear QAM. Most any others you get this way will be SD.

If you want the full selection (incl HD,) you need a blaster so EyeTV (software) can change the channel (on the set top box).

5. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not interested in spending another $50 on a blaster, which is the price of the Zephir I think. Are there other compatible ones that anyone knows about for less?