Eyetv Hybrid vs Eyetv 250

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NewMackie, Mar 17, 2008.

1. NewMackie macrumors newbie

NewMackie

Can someone tell me which is best to purchase the hybrid or the 250
    are there any major differences other than one uses the resources of the mac vs self powering?

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It'll be helpful for discussion if you tell us what computer you have.

But generally, my advice is, if you have an Intel Mac get the hybrid, if you have a PowerPC, get the 250.

3. NewMackie thread starter macrumors newbie

NewMackie

Oh okay, I will have an imac 2.4ghz 320 HD space.

4. Italchef macrumors 6502

I think the general consensus is that if you're just interested in using the thing as a tv tuner/tivo, then the hybrid will do the job just fine. I have it hooked up to my cable after the main line splits to go to my high speed modem. There has been no loss of speed etc. because of the split. I have not hooked up an aerial to try out HD.
    The 250 is good if you have a lot of analog tapes that you want to convert to digital and need something dedicated to the cause. I think that the hybrid would be perfect for your needs. I have the same iMac as you.

Mick

5. NewMackie thread starter macrumors newbie

NewMackie

Thanks Mick,
    the thing i want to do the most is transfer vhs and mini dv camera stuff then edit with final cut and make dvd's and small videos for my website:rolleyes: - I would also like to use it as a tivo type thingy but not much.
    thanks a bunch:apple: is there something else I should use instead of eyetv?

6. Italchef macrumors 6502

As far as video conversion from old VHS tapes to digital, another way to do this is to use your miniDV camera as the converter. Run the tapes through the camera and onto the iMac. I've done this and it works fairly well. If this is your first Mac then you're in for a treat. It's so easy to turn all these old tapes into something that the whole family can enjoy...and it's really fun!
    Let me know if you need any other advice.
    One more thing; you might want to get an external hard drive to put all your video material on. Use it as your scratch disk. It just makes things much easier and you won't use up all of your iMacs disk space.

Mick

Mick

7. drgrafix macrumors regular

Glad to offer my humble opinion :).

OK, I have eyeTV250 running on my iMac 24" 2.8 and its pretty cool. I think the primary difference might be that the hybrid might only use current analog channels while the 250 actually has the ability to deliver digital and HD content via digital cable or by using a STB from someone like DTV or DISH Network. Mine is set up with comcast digital cable and I can get a nice variety of digital 4:3 format as well as 16:9 HD. The Hybrid unit can get OTA HD/Digital signals but you will (probably) be limited to "OTA network" channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and PBS, and will (probably) not be able to connect the hybrid to a digital cable and expect anything.

Given that in less than one year there will be no analog channels whatsoever and only digital & digital HD, its a decision you have to make. I'm seriously thinking about going the DTV route and feeding my 250 from a DTV HD STB. Maybe someone else has that setup and can comment on how it works because right now, I have a nice program guide for reference.

8. NewMackie thread starter macrumors newbie

NewMackie

Thanks everyone!

Okay. Looks like the 250 is the one for me...looking ahead.. truth be told based on what I've learned here - I dont even need it :rolleyes:"THANKS ITALCHEF" .....but i like it :D THANKS DRGRAFX... so I will buy it today

I will be using Comcast...I am sure I will have loads of questions once up and running.....impatiently waiting for the delivery.....foot tapping.....

9. drgrafix macrumors regular

Just be aware that a lot of digital/HD content _is_ encrypted, and as such, the eyeTV will not decode that. You should be able to get anything that isn't encrypted. Nobody knows what will happen next year when digital is the standard and not an option, but for now... much is encrypted. I can get networks and a few other HDs, some digitals. If/when I switch to DTV that should be interesting because then I assume it's coming out of the box which is a decoder of sorts.

10. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

True, a lot of digital programming is encrypted, but just from the cable and satellite boxes, not over-the-air or clear-QAM, which is all the digital content the hybrid receives. Everything the hybrid is designed to receive is natively unencrypted, and that will never change. They can't just all-of-a-sudden start encrypting ATSC signals...