eyeTV Hybrid Without Cable TV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AzRocks, Aug 31, 2008.

1. AzRocks macrumors newbie

I do not have cable, satellite, fios, or any paid TV service. Just over the air free broadcasting. I am considering purchising the eyeTV hybrid. How would I connect to the eyeTV? Also, every thing would work correctly... right? And, does anyone know the difference between the eyeTV hybrid that came out this year vs. the older one?

Thanks for any help!

2. anxcd38 macrumors newbie

eyeTV Hybrid

I have been using the older one for about two years now and it works great. I was tuning in HDTV channels with a MacBook for over a year, driving a 30" tube HDTV that did not have a tuner. I used the MacBook's mini-DV out, Apple's converter to DVI, then a cable that took DVI to HDMI for the tv's input.

Worked great, recorded all sorts of sports and OTA tv shows in glorious uncompressed hi-def...much better quality that what we were getting thru TWC in Dallas.

The only difference I know of is that the newer stick comes with their updated version of the eyeTV software. I have updated as far as possible without having to pay an upgrade fee and I'm still very happy using it on a PowerMac G5.

3. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thats one question answered... How about the non-cable issue? Thanks!

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Do you live in the states? Im not exactly sure how it works over there but id imagine that if you connect your aerial to the hybrid, the eye tv should be able to scan and pick up the free over air stations.

Here in England we also have free stations but over digital as well as analog. The Hybrid can broadcast both.

5. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I live in the US. So can I buy a set of "rabbit ears" and connect it to the eyeTV, to make it work? And will it still work after the DTV switch?

6. anxcd38 macrumors newbie

Yes to both. I use a small antenna purchased at Frys or Walmart, I forget which one. Very cheap and easy to set up. It's exactly what you would need to get free over the air HDTV now and after the switch.

7. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Any one have recommendations on a specific "rabbit ears" i could buy. Price is the most important consideration! And that it works after Feb. 19, 2009! Thanks again!

8. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

The same "rabbit ears" you use today will work after Feb. I've been using EyeTV hybrid on my Mac Pro for months for local, over the air digital channels using "rabbit ears". I live in central Florida and it works great over here.

9. Trip.Tucker Guest

The eyeTV Hybrid replaces the analog eyeTV and the digital eyeTV units by combining both these features into one unit. You can capture analog signals from a VCR or camera as well as receive digital free to air transmission. The eyeTV is a USB device that requires a USB 2.0 port (which you have :) )

Have you read the product blurb yet?
    Link: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/hybrid/product1.en.html

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The DTV switch does not affect the antenna, but the tuner. The new EyeTV supports the old NTSC (analog) standard and the new ATSC (digital) standard, as well as some supporting the HDTV formats over ATSC. You can use a simple $15 RabitEar/Loop antenna combo from nearly any store to watch TV if you are in a city or near a transmitter site, otherwise you may need a more advanced antenna to recieve the ATSC or NTSC signals.

www.antennaweb.org should help you choose the type and size of antenna you need for your area.

TEG

11. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing that up everyone and thanks for all of your help!

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

BTW, if you have good ATSC reception in your area, you might want to look into the HDHomeRun. You can buy it through El Gato and it comes with 2 licenses for EyeTV.

The HDHR is bascially a network ATSC/QAM tuner (but since your OTA, the QAM won't interest you). You plug the HDHR to your network and install the EyeTV software onto your Macs. You can then record up to two simultaneous shows ... something you can't do with the Hybrid (unless you buy two Hybrids).

The downside is that you don't have an NTSC tuner, so you won't be able to watch/record analog channels. However, if you already get decent digital signals, then you might not even care.

ft