EyeTV Live 3G TV Streaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huskermania, Feb 15, 2010.

1. huskermania macrumors member

I typically tend to make videos on recent events in the iPod/ iPhone world, such as when Fring was released that made the iPod Touch into a VoIP Phone. This time, when I heard that SlingPlayer was allowed to stream TV over 3G, I decided to make a video showing how to stream TV over 3G via EyeTV. The application itself doesn't allow 3G Streaming, unless you have v1.0. ;) However, they have made a website that allows you to stream the TV from your Mac to the iPhone over 3G. Here is the video, it's pretty straight forward if you already have the hardware. I use this since the SlingPlayer is fairly expensive (Over $200) and the app alone is $30. Hope you guys find this useful like I do.

-Alex

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTDRrH92bE

2. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Cool. I'll check this out shortly.

3. huskermania thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, let me know what you think about it. I wonder how many people know about this, as I haven't heard much about it.

4. uneek1 macrumors regular

Orb Live works well too, and a lot cheaper than Sling Player. A month or so ago Apple made them disable 3G streaming, but since Sling Player allows it, I'm sure Orb will be able to go back to 3G streaming soon enough.

5. huskermania thread starter macrumors member

I've always have had problems with Orb. But I had an EyeTV already and was lucky enough to get the EyeTV app before Apple took it down. But I found the web app for it and it worked just as well as the App. Plus, the web app is free. So I can't complain about that.

6. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Nice work. Looks like a nice solution. I'm considering getting a Mac Mini (soon) or a iMac (later).

One question, does eyeTV enable DVR like pause/resume functionality? I saw that you paused the video but could not tell if it skipped forward or picked up where it left off. Can you sched recordings?

7. huskermania thread starter macrumors member

I just tested it again just to be sure, you can play + pause, with it resuming like a movie would. You can also fast forward it to the present, similar to what a "Live" button would do on a DVR Remote. You can't record directly from it, but you can watch recorded content, (From your Mac) and see what content is recording back home. Here's a list: http://eyetv.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeTV-app.en.html