EyeTV on Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, May 1, 2017.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Sparked by the video capture thread by @bobesch I thought I'd dig out my old EyeTV digital broadcast stick to see if it still works.
    I bought this in 2006 to play TV through my Core Solo Mini, my first Intel Mac which was on duty as my media player. It worked flawlessly back then, I'd watch and record TV completely oblivious to video formats, codecs, compression and data rates :)
    I was amazed to find, 11 years later, after popping in the install disk, attaching the USB stick and autotuning, it was immediately accessing the UK digital broadcast network on my 1.67 Powerbook.
    Can you imagine any online streaming service being compatible after 11 years? ;)

screen.jpg
    Miglia.jpg

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Amazing! ;)

Is that on your Intel mini, or a PPC?

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

PPC, my Powerbook 1.67 17"

4. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Great, DVB still works at your location.
    A month ago our local broadcast changed from DVBT (I think, it's equal to your DVB) to DVBT-2 HD rendering all my elgato hardware to be outdated.
    If someone here is able to continue use of DVBT-USB-stick just send me a PN. I'd only like to get the postage refunded...
    (3 DVBT-Dual-Tuner-USB-Sticks "Diversity", one single USB-Stick)

5. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

In 2006 here in Italy we didn't even know digital TV broadcasting existed. We only had it about 6-7 years ago... And I think here DVBT will resist at least other three or four years.

6. Lastic macrumors 6502

7. weckart macrumors 68040

I have far too many of these dongles including a couple of Miglias. They fell out with Elgato and started bundling some other software after Elgato dropped support for any new Miglia hardware.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've been using EyeTV for a while on my DLSD. I was using it back in 2006 on my MacBookPro 1,1 with a Freecom DVB-T stick which by luck has the same internals as a Miglia TVmini.

Requires a USB 2 port, so it wouldn't work on the TiBooks as standard.

Attached Files: