eyeTV question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rockinrocker, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I'm thinking about getting the eyeTV to use with my MP.

what i can't figure out is, i have digital cable, and the box (motorola) is in a different room from my computer. will the scheduling/recording software still work without me having to change the channel myself?

i've seen some people say that they have to manually change the channel if they use it conjunction with a digital cable box.

thanks.

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

I think the eyetv tuners are for DTT (digital terrestrial television, or freview) which means what you get from your tv ariel. For cable tv, you probably need to use your cable tv tuner to get the picture source, and then buy an eyetv hybrid, which lets you take an analogue input (s-video or the yellow composite cables) out of your tuner box's outputs into your eyetv.
    As the eyetv hybrid would be functioning as a direct capture card, not a tuner, you would need to change channels on your cable box.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Elgato make a number of different eyeTV solutions, not all of which are for DTT. None can change a cable box channel.

4. XjeffX macrumors member

I just got the EyeTV Hybrid for my iMac. It's great. It has a built in tuner so it can get analog, digital, or clearQAM channels over the cable w/out the need for a box. So if you're in another room, no problem.

Be sure to get the newer version that has a sticker on the box saying it supports QAM. My first one I picked up at Frys didn't have one but the apple store had the new ones.

With QAM your tuner can find a bunch of channels including HD. It all depends on your area though. It's kind of random. You can also plug in a HDTV antenna and pick up some HD channels over the air but the QAM should work well.

For $150 I think it's great!

5. mdgolom macrumors 6502

There are third party remote controls that are supported by EyeTV. Check Elgato's website for the remotes.

If the cable box is in a different room, how do you plan to get the signal from the box to the computer? I have 3 computers using 4 tuners without any cable boxes which works great (I can't watch scrambled channels which is ok with me).

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

EyeTV even supports using the remote that comes with your computer (if you have a computer that came with one of those remotes).

7. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

antenna

I am considering getting an eye TV hybrid. I don't have a cable box, and currently use a set top antenna for local channels. Will I be able to get reception from this? Would I have to go buy a big outdoor antenna? Thanks. :confused:

8. Razmo macrumors newbie

You could also consider a "SlingBox" hooked up to your cable box and streaming the video over your network
    to your MAC / PC / mobile device.
    You can control the sling box and your cable box from your "remote device" with their software remote control.
    They have clients for PC and MAC systems.
    http://www.slingmedia.com/ for more info.

9. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I'm considering getting eyeTV too i just don't know if it's worth the money.What do you guys think?

10. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

thanks for the input.
    i guess i wasn't very clear, the box is in a different room, but i wasn't planning on using it w/ itv if i could avoid it. what i was hoping is that i could just connect one of the other cable hook ups to it.

which from what xjeffx is saying, should work, right? i won't need to have another box to change channels or anything?

11. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Then yes, it will work. The EyeTV software/hardware handles the tuning.

As for the previous poster who asked if the EyeTV was worth it, the answer is yes. I own (and use) 4 of them and could live without them.