EyeTV Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magic.swordsman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. magic.swordsman macrumors newbie

I am mainly looking to record console video game gameplay into digital form on my macbook pro. I don't know much about the different kinds of EyeTV's there were and I wanted to make sure I got the right kind. I'm thinking the kind i need is the Eyetv 250 Plus - http://www.eyetv.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/250plus/product1.en.html

But if I could buy one of the cheaper ones to do the same thing (record video games) then I would rather do that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The Hybrid will be fine for recording your video games (speed runs perhaps?). For video encoding/compression done outside of the computer is what the 250 would do.

3. magic.swordsman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it was mainly for speed runs. So the 250 Plus would just be for putting it on a dvd is what you mean? Because I might need some sort of compressor since I was probably going to put the videos on youtube and stuff.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No, the 250 has a processor on it for faster encoding. It reduces the amount of processor power needed.

5. magic.swordsman thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, I see. I'll probably just get the hybrid then. Thanks a lot for your help.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

While we're on the topic.... how fast have you beat Mega Man 9? I've done it in about 49:50 or something. Lots of room for improvement.

7. skynyrdcrazy macrumors newbie

eyetv VHS homemovies to imovie

I've taken old VHS home movies and recorded them to EyeTV - now I want to edit them in imovie but imovie doesn't recognize the format. Any ideas?