Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Can some one please tell me

A: Can you record Sky Digital (in the UK) using EyeTV products?

and

B: Which product i.e. 200, 310 etc will do it on my G5.

I think i need the 200.

I emailed Elgato these questions and they cannot seem to give me answer after 4 replies. Apparently and i quote "You can receive the free Sky News channels but not the Pay-TV station Sky."

This was after I received "To receive Pay-TV channels via satellite, you must make sure that they do support 3rd party products like the EyeTV and that there is a CAM on the market which supports the encryption used by that channel."

That means **** all to me and has left me totally confused on the situation.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
sky

I think the only way to watch satelite sky one (and all the encrypted pay-for channels) you must have a sky digibox.

The output of which you plug into the input of one of these Elgato things. I think it all done live i.e. u cant program the elegato to record whatever's on Sky Sports 1.

I can be corrected, but thats my understanding. You need a sky digiBox to decode the BSkyB encryption. nothing else does it.

F

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
FireArse said:
I think the only way to watch satelite sky one (and all the encrypted pay-for channels) you must have a sky digibox.

The output of which you plug into the input of one of these Elgato things. I think it all done live i.e. u cant program the elegato to record whatever's on Sky Sports 1.

I can be corrected, but thats my understanding. You need a sky digiBox to decode the BSkyB encryption. nothing else does it.

F

"I have a sky digibox how else would i get sky" I told Elgato but they are such dumbasses they keep saying I cant then I can and they still havent told me which product will do it. To be honest they have pretty much talked me out of purchasing. Thats why I have posted here.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
i would try and shed more light onto it but...

the elgato site seems down. :\

If I were you - I'd buy one of the USB sticks and simply watch the Digital Terrestrial channels. Sky put on a load of BS now anyway. I;ve asked my dad to drop it for months - coulda saved him a packet.

I think the new Sky HD boxes have various digital output - I would love for it to have DVI - but I dont think its there - would be great if they did!

I'll have a read-through of the Elgato site and get back to you - alternatively, try the apple site, the information on there is nomally pretty good.

F

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Just found this on the FAQ pages...

Q: Does EyeTV 310 support Sky PayTV Service?
A: No. Sky is a proprietary system that only supports its own encryption system and set-top box. If you would like to watch Sky with EyeTV, you can connect EyeTV 200/EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0/EyeTV EZ/EyeTV USB to your Sky set-top box. Channels on your Sky set-top box cannot be changed automatically using EyeTV, therefore you must ensure that the cable/satellite box is tuned to the channel you wish to record.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
dietcokevanilla said:
Just found this on the FAQ pages...

Q: Does EyeTV 310 support Sky PayTV Service?
A: No. Sky is a proprietary system that only supports its own encryption system and set-top box. If you would like to watch Sky with EyeTV, you can connect EyeTV 200/EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0/EyeTV EZ/EyeTV USB to your Sky set-top box. Channels on your Sky set-top box cannot be changed automatically using EyeTV, therefore you must ensure that the cable/satellite box is tuned to the channel you wish to record.

So why did they keep saying I couldnt watch Sky? :confused: Idiots! Ok thanks!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Vaphoron said:
Can you record TV with the EyeTV EZ or not? I find their site to be very vague.

Exactly, it does offer alot of info but not the answers to the questions you wanna know. I have been in contact with them personally and they still couldnt give me an answer. This thread has helped but after reading the thread about new Mac adverts on Macrumorsand the continued speculation of PVR in Leopard I might hold out and see what Leopard has to offer.

carnageehw

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
Eye tv EZ will for sure record live tv to the mac, but its ONLY video cd quality. which is fine for viewing on an ipod or something small, but not good enough if you need to watch it on tv again. And as far as i know, eye tv will owrk with anything you want it to, for example, i just have it on basic cable. therefore i run a coax cable into eye tv. if i wanted digital cable (which i have downstairs) i would have hook up eye tv between the digital cable box, and my mac. hope that made somewhat sence.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
VCD? Are you sure?

carnageehw said:
ONLY video cd quality.

Can I ask where you got this information from? I have MPEG 2 recorded files. These seem like DVB quality to me.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
carnageehw said:
i would have hook up eye tv between the digital cable box, and my mac. hope that made somewhat sence.

Is there an issue with doing this? I have digital cable, but simply plugging the coax from the wall into the eyetv gives me nothig. However, if I hook up a regular (old) television with tuner to the coax, it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.