Eyetv software with non-Elgato tuner?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boston04and07, Sep 13, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I have an Eyetv 250 hooked up on my desk, and I really love it. However, I'd like to have one of the smaller tv tuners to take on the road with me, so I can still DVR things while I travel. I've been shopping around and have noticed that there are some cheaper tuners out there, and was wondering if the Eyetv software would work with non-Elgato tuners - has anyone tried this?

(Video quality isn't that important to me, since I have my 250 for that and would only use the smaller tuner every now and then).

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know some can

just google the model and see if it works with eyetv

3. JoMomma macrumors newbie

I'm using a Pinnacle 80E Mini Stick for Mac. They've been bought up by Hauppauge, but I think they kept the Pinnacle name. It works fine with EyeTv under Leopard but didn't work under Snow Leopard. I jsut spent this afternoon uninstalling Snow Leopard and reinstalling Leopard because of the programs and hardware that didn't work under Snow Leopard.

Jo

4. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

I have that same 80e Mini stick and its running fine under Snow Leopard for me - what didn't work for you?

5. JoMomma macrumors newbie

Matthew,

I didn't get any signal at all. Preferences showed 100% signal strength and 0% signal quality. The window would open where I normally get a tv picture, and it just said, "no signal." When I clicked on previous recordings, they worked. When I removed Snow Leopard and reinstalled Leopard yesterday, I got my signal back. Weird.

I'm tempted to try a clean install of Snow Leopard, but I'm not sure if it's worth the aggravation.

Jo

6. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

Well I've got two of the things (on different Macs) and both are on Snow Leopard now and the 80e's are working great, but I did clean installs on both machines - don't know if that's the magic part of not, but I can say that it is working for me.

7. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll definitely be trying this out.