EyeTV to DVD resolution, 4:3 to 16:9 problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cox Orange, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Cox Orange, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

For Summary scroll down to second post

Hello,

I have a source that is a 4:3. Importantly it is actually a 16:9 film displayed on a 4:3 TV (so it has black bars to "fill" the 4:3 and not being blurred). The source is analogue (not digital).
    If I now convert the EyeTV mpeg2-transportstream to mpeg2-programmstream for DVD (e.g.) I still have the black blurs of course, but if I then put the DVD into a Player and display it on a 16:9 TV it will alter the 4:3 (with black bars) to fit in 16:9, so I will have additional black bars to the ones allready present.

Is there a way that I can handle this problem?
    The only codec/foramt that cuts the black bars when converting from mpeg2-transportstream to something else, is divx-avi. I would not not like to use divx-avi for DVD-compatibility reasons (as far as I know most DVD-players have divx in a mpeg4 container or they have mpeg2 support).

----------------------------------------------
    Another question:
    you can choose profiles how EyeTV 2.5.3 (I know there is 3.3.3 for Tiger) records the source coming from TV/satelite receiver/VHS-Player. The profiles give different max. bitrates that can be chosen in mpeg2. The profile that gives the highest max. bitrate is "high - for DVDs with movies of 90min. lenght" and is 6Mbit/s max. You can also choose "eigene Einstellungen" (own settings), here you can put a maximum of 15Mbit/s.
    I guess, of course, it is only reasonable to choose 15Mbit/s, if the TV-source sends with 15Mbit/s and if one would like to convert it to something smaller later (e.g. 15Mbit/s mpeg2 recorded ---> convert to h.264 with 2500kbit/s, would perhaps give better results then converting from lets say 3Mbit/s mpeg2 to 2.4Mbit/s h.264. Am I right?
    Question: I do not want to record at 15Mbit/s, if the TV does only send at 6Mbit/s. So how am I gonna deal with the 15Mbit/s setting? Use it or not? Any sense?

Thanks a lot!

2. Cox Orange, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

SHORT:
    1. Is there a way cropping black bars?
    Edit: seems that this could fit my needs. http://download.cnet.com/Xilisoft-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10704109.html?tag=mncol;1
    but I'd prefer a more embedded way.
    Edit2: Oh I am dump, this is no freeware.
    Edit3: am now trying mpegstreamclip...

2. is a possible bitrate of 15Mbit/s reasonable?
    Suggested answer: does not matter, if the 15Mbit/s is set permanently, EyeTV will record what the source gives. Right?