EyeTV to record Sky+?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FourS, Oct 27, 2010.

1. FourS macrumors newbie

Hello there!

Wasn't completely sure where to post this, so thought I'd make a thread here. Hopefully it's not in the wrong section!

I just got an iMac two days ago (first Apple computer), which I'm still getting used to at the moment - but I was looking for something to record off of my Sky+ box (which is nearly full now) and transfer it to my Mac. I've read various ways to do this, but there seems to be no universal solution, and is very complicated!

I came across this EyeTV website: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products.en.html which have a few products that I think might be able to record off the TV, but not certain on Sky (due to encryption or something.)

I was wondering if someone could possibly help me with a few questions:

1. Is it possible to record/transfer from my Sky+ box to my Mac, using an EyeTV product?

2. If so, which EyeTV product would be the correct one to use?

3. Or do you feel I'd be better off buying a DVD Recorder, and transferring it to my Mac this way? (If that is possible)

Really appreciate any help on this! :)

Thanks a lot.

2. cokeacola macrumors member

yes i have the eyetv hybrid , use it to take programmes off the sky box once there recorded using audio leads and a s-video cable

3. FourS thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello cokeacola, thanks for your reply!

So with the EyeTV Hybrid - will I be able to record all programs through Sky+ onto my iMac? (Like even ones previously recorded?)

Cheers

4. cokeacola macrumors member

to record directly you would have to have the eyetv hybrid hooked up to the box and mac as it is done thro realtime (if you know what i mean )

the way i use it is it set the sky box to record a certain prog then after its on the skybox hook up the mac to the skybox via the hybrid and take it off on to the mac

hope thats clear for you :confused:

5. FourS thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's perfect, thanks so much for your help! :)