EyeTv users

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dman24, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Dman24 macrumors newbie

I have been looking for something to use as DVR/TV tuner for my macbook. I have recently heard of EyeTV and like what I see. Is it too good to be true? I have IO Digital Cable, no current DVR or dvd recorder and am sick of recording onto a VHS tape. This is 2008 after all. Anyone familiar with this product? Is it worth the money? How about Over The Air HDTV? I know I am throwing a lot out there but I am new to all this and any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I have a EyeTV Hybrid and a 2.5 GHz MBP with 2 GB RAM. I use it as a DVR all the time and it has performed well. Recently I used it as a DVR in another state with a different cable company and the Titan TV listings enabled me to set it up to record without any problems. It's a memory hog, though, and I wouldn't plan on doing anything else while it's recording.

I have been able to transfer the recording to my ipod without problems.

Can't comment on HD.

Although someone told me that pay programming on cable is not able to be recorded, I have recorded HBO by using the coax out of the cable box to EyeTV and clicking Record. I did not set it up to record with Titan TV.

As I remember, I got the EyeTV Hybrid and Toast as a combo/special offer during WWDC 2 years ago. Might be worth waiting to see if they do a special offer this year.

3. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

I use the EyeTV hybrid to watch OTA HD TV and have had great experience. Get a good hd Tv antenna (about $30 on Amazon) and you are good to go.

Recording shows works great too.

4. Dman24 thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of antenna do you use? This is for anyone, just so I have a few options. I see mixed reviews for just about every antenna, but thats probably due to location, obstacles in the area and other location differences.

5. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

In my loction, this one works well for me:

Terk Technology HDTVi VHF/UHF HDTV Indoor Antenna (from Amazon)

6. jmadlena Guest

7. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

I would go for the Eyetv 250 just because it had a built-in decoder...

8. weckart macrumors 68040

The decoder is for analogue signals only, no? Since TV is moving onto digital signals only, no sense in spending on superfluous obsolete hardware, unless you live in an an area where digital TV cannot penetrate.

9. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I think you are referring to video ENcoding hardware which greatly reduces the time to change recorded material to an MPEG 2 format that can play on your iPod or Apple TV. A very valuable feature if that is how you will use the EyeTV.

10. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Sorry I meant to say the Eyetv 250 Plus. It does both analogue and digital.

11. decal macrumors member

decal

I bought the Eye TV dual Diversity Digital unit and it have plugged into my old iBook 1.2ghz G4. It sits beside my TV at home recording HD from free to air. I travel a lot so I have set up Back to Mac with my .Mac account so wherever I am in the country/world I can connect connect via sharing the desk top and add programs to record or make sure it's all running OK.

Works a treat!

12. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

I use EyeTV in the UK to watch/record free-to-view digital TV. It works absolutely fine, although as with all such products, the key thing is the antenna. I use the portable antenna they sell, and that works fine at the top of the house by a window, although there are some channels I can't get. If you plugged it into a regular antenna, you'd be absolutely fine. I have had no issues with this at all - and you can save files for your iPod etc. Your set up sounds as though it would deal with this well.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I have the EyeTV 250 Plus…
    Upgraded from the original EyeTV box I had for about 3 years.

Worked fine with the external TV antenna — all free view channels etc…

Now have it hooked up to SKY+ box and so far so good… :D

The EyeTV 3.0 software is great and the ability to stream recordings to my iPhone is a bonus. :cool:

14. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I use the Hybrid, EyeTV 200 (2), EyeTV 250 and EyeTV 500 and I love it. I mostly record shows, edit out commercials then use Toast to burn to DVD to watch at the gym. I couldn't live without it,

The biggest problem I had was finding a decent antenna for HD. Nothing indoors worked, but I got a Terk about the size of a pizza box and mounted outside. I get almost all of the channels.

15. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Can you run a long cable to the antenna?
    My mac is about 20 feet from the balcony.
    Thanks

16. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Yes. Some of my runs exceed 20 feet.

17. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I have a Pinnacle HD Stick and EyeTV 3.0 running on a 1st gen BlackBook w/ 2GB ram. I tune in over the air digital TV with it and have no problems. You will want to do some research about where you are located in relation to the broadcast towers for your local TV stations if you plan on watching over the air digital TV, and get an appropriate antenna. I have a Channel Master 4220 2-bay antenna mounted in my closet, and a Channel Master 7775 Amplifier. I can tune in 11 stations (plus all their sub-stations) with this setup. With the small antenna that my tuner came with I only got 5, 3 of which were Spanish language stations.

While watching TV (including HD broadcasts) I have had iTunes downloading new purchases in the background and surfed the web in Safari, without any problems. The only thing I could not do was have my HD tuner and an analog tuner connected to USB at the same time. I have an EyeTV EZ analog tuner that I used to use. If I plug them both in, I get an error that the USB bus can't handle them both at the same time, which is a shame since EyeTV supports dual inputs.

18. decal macrumors member

decal

Have you tried using a powered USB hub? This might give you enough power to run both?