Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Can someone please tell me the difference between the EyeTV Hybrid and the EyeTV 250?

I see the 250 will encode faster... but it also cost $50 more, requires that you plug it into an outlet, and is larger. Are there other differences?

I have a 24" 2.4 GHz iMac... I would think it is fast enough it doesn't need the 250 to help it. Am I mistaken?

I also have a few questions about the EyeTV...

Will I be able to hook a Wii up to my computer using the EyeTV? And if so, will that let me record myself playing without any extra software?

Can I do something like Picture in Picture... as in be playing on the Wii durning commercials? (Not really important, just a kind of cool idea I thought of.)

Can I start/stop/rewind/fast forward TV with the EyeTV?

Can I export the DVR as a file format quicktime can open?

Will hitting buttons on the Apple Remote do anything... like... can I change the volume or change channels by using the Apple Remote?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Can someone please tell me the difference between the EyeTV Hybrid and the EyeTV 250?

To see the differences between the two you can use this page.

I see the 250 will encode faster... but it also cost $50 more, requires that you plug it into an outlet, and is larger. Are there other differences?

250 has an onboard encoder which means it won't tax your system much, also it has the ability to take signals from VHS as well as some other benefits

I have a 24" 2.4 GHz iMac... I would think it is fast enough it doesn't need the 250 to help it. Am I mistaken?

It is fast enough to handle it no question but there are other benefits

I also have a few questions about the EyeTV...

Will I be able to hook a Wii up to my computer using the EyeTV? And if so, will that let me record myself playing without any extra software?

Not totally sure about Wii compatibility, I think both systems will work.

And you can record yourself playing

Can I do something like Picture in Picture... as in be playing on the Wii durning commercials? (Not really important, just a kind of cool idea I thought of.)

I know some Elgato products can do this but I don't know if it applies to the specific ones in question.

Can I start/stop/rewind/fast forward TV with the EyeTV?

Yes

Can I export the DVR as a file format quicktime can open?

Yes, there are many defaults pre-programmed in as well to aid exporting for things like Playstation, iPod etc.

Will hitting buttons on the Apple Remote do anything... like... can I change the volume or change channels by using the Apple Remote?

Yes, change channel, change volume, menu brings up a full screen epg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.