Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
We look forward to the rumoured sequel to Top Gun which will feature Tom Cruise trapped for five hours in his F-22 after which Nicole Kidman rolls up to tell "Maverick": "Don't you think this has gone on long enough? It's time for you to come out of the cockpit. You're not fooling anyone."

I see a South Park episode being written as we speak....

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
LOL!! That is incredible. :D

The $180,000 dollar repair job wont hurt the budget too much though, considering the plane cost $134 mil. :eek:

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
gauchogolfer said:
I see a South Park episode being written as we speak....

hehe, nice. I bet your right. Some sort of mention will be made. :p

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Shamus said:
LOL!! That is incredible. :D

The $180,000 dollar repair job wont hurt the budget too much though, considering the plane cost $134 mil. :eek:

All those millions of dollars and the damn window won't roll down ;) Figures :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Meh, people love to take a crack at defense spending, but if we ever need that aircraft nobody will be laughing anymore. Nothing else comes close to it in capability.

When I saw the title I thought a ground crewman had been ingested into the intake...that happens every now and then, mostly on carriers though.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Lord Blackadder said:
Meh, people love to take a crack at defense spending, but if we ever need that aircraft nobody will be laughing anymore. Nothing else comes close to it in capability.

True, that is one awesome aircraft. :)

Lord Blackadder said:
When I saw the title I thought a ground crewman had been ingested into the intake...that happens every now and then, mostly on carriers though.

Sounds.....painful. :eek:

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
Lord Blackadder said:

Meh, I think Russians make better war airplanes than Americans do, and worst yet, they sell them to China and other countries that are not too US friendly.

However, pilot training is another thing...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
blitzkrieg79 said:
Meh, I think Russians make better war airplanes than Americans do
They certainly make more rugged ones. Russian planes are like tanks with wings. ;) Reliable, maintainable, relatively inexpensive.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
jsw said:
They certainly make more rugged ones. Russian planes are like tanks with wings. ;) Reliable, maintainable, relatively inexpensive.

That is also true. Anyway, even F-22 can't match the manoeuvrability of Su-37 (which was built in 1996, http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/su37/ ) not to mention the up and coming Su-47 (http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/s37/)

However, as I mentioned earlier, you can have the best airplane in the world, but if you are not a good pilot, nothing will save you. Airplane is just a machine which needs a human control input. Just like in a computer world, you have people with over 3GHZ rigs and all they do is play solitaire or surf the net :p

EDIT: I think I should correct myself, Russians make better fighter jets as Americans definately seem to have better bombers.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
jsw said:
Looks more to me like a laughing pelican. ;)

Military jets are cool. Using them? Not so cool. But the planes themselves are just stunning bits of work.

That picture is a bit misleading. The plane sitting sideways in the picture is the Boeing prototype that was created during the competition between they and Lockheed to build the next generation fighter jet. The one facing forward in the picture is the Lockheed built plane and is the one that will become the F-35.

The Lockheed one is one sweet looking plane. The Boeing one is painfully ugly.

Edit: link to better pics http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/f-35/x-35a.htm

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
These planes are extremely complex. Of all the things that can go possibly go wrong, this isn't that bad. I'd rather be stuck because the hatch wouldn't open, than dead because an engine went out or something. I've been on a search and rescue mission for a F-18 that went down at an air show (actually, it was more of a search and clean up) and down planes can be a horrific sight. I'm just thankful this was not a more serious disaster.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
telecomm said:
This sounds like a manufacturing defect, so wouldn't it be covered by the warranty?
I believe they tried to save a few bucks and didn't purchase RaptorCare.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
jsw said:
I believe they tried to save a few bucks and didn't purchase RaptorCare.
That made my day. :)

Seriously though...
The russians can make stronger, more maneuverable aircraft, but who cares if one raptor can engage and destroy a whole squadron of SU-37's before they even knew they were in hostile territory?

During testing a Raptor engaged and "killed" a squadron of Top Gun pilots in, I believe, F-18's. At debriefing the pilots said they never saw (visually or on radar) the offending F-22. One by one they just magically were blown out of the sky.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Abstract said:
^^That's because that part of the design was done courtesy of Volkswagen. It shares the same opening mechanism as the crappy power windows feature in 1998-2003 Jettas.
as the recipient of six replaced window regulators in my 2000 Jetta...

ilold.jpg

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
If you follow the link on the Register to the original site at FlightGlobal, and then click on the blog there's a piece from some guy about how WW2 Hurricanes and Spitfires were better designs because you could open the cockpit before combat. Hmmm Mach 2 - let's open the window :eek: :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.