F-Keys... on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snowleopard2009, Aug 21, 2009.

1. snowleopard2009 macrumors newbie

Searched and kind of found an answer, but it doesn't seem to be 100% correct for me....

Right now, MOST of the FKEYS do what is printed on them, controlling sound, brightness, etc

F9 and F10 only work when you hold the fn key (lower left). How can I get those to work without that? I know there is an option in the Keyboard control panel, but that only makes it so I have to use the fn key for ALL of them.

Thanks!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Mine work without hitting Fn.

Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard/Mouse.

Under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, hit Restore Defaults. See if it works now.

3. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

in preferences under keyboard & mouse, there is a box to check. it says "use all f keys as function keys"

basically, as default, they do the special functions i.e. brightness, volume, and media controls. to use them as function keys, you press the "fn" key along with the one you want "f5".

when you check this box, it reverses that. they are f keys first and you have to press the"fn" key to get the special stuff.

hope that helps

4. kai920 macrumors member

yeah i recently discovered this option too, and I think i may prefer the F-keys being "real" F keys as opposed to the apple default.

F1 for help
    F3 for find
    F5 to reload web pages
    F9-F11 for expose
    F12 for firebug

5. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

isn't pressing F3 the same as fn + F9?

6. snowleopard2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm

Maybe i didn't phrase it right....

I HAVE TO hit fn for the F9 and F10 keys to do their Expose function or whatever...

I DON'T HAVE TO hit fn on all the other keys for them to adjust brightness, sound, dahsboard, etc.

The "Restore Defaults" didn't work.

7. nikiski macrumors regular

May I know which MacBook Pro is it? Is it a unibody, new silver book keyboard (no apple logo on command key), or old silver book keyboard (apple logo on command key)?

8. snowleopard2009 thread starter macrumors newbie