F Keys - what is their function?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidsense, Mar 11, 2008.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I thought that this was such a basic question - one that would be so commonly asked - that I searched and searched, but could not find an answer.

What exactly do the F Keys do? Do they also change based on what program you are using?

In Finder, F12 brings up Dashboard; F11 clears the desktop; F10 activates Expose; F9 also activates Expose; F8 activates Spaces; F7; F6; F5; F4; F3; F2; F1. I wonder why F10 and F11 are the same?

**EDIT** - now I'm even more confused. Sometimes, F10 activates Expose, but other times (e.g., when I'm in the Expose & Spaces of System Prefs), it highlights the top window and darkens the background. First, why is it doing that there as opposed to other times. Second, what in the world is the highlighting/darkening thing doing?

In Firefox, I know F5 refreshes, and I think F6 highlights the URL bar?

Thanks for any help.

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

many programs use the function keys to bring up tools and show tool bars.

to use them use the fn key

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It depends on what keyboard you are using. Some programs use them for shortcuts. Most of the uses for them can be adjusted in the system preferences for spaces, exposé (there are 3 forms, one of which is what that F10 did for you).

TEG

4. Harryt223 macrumors member

anyone know how to do a full screen on FCP. You need to press apple + f12.. so what would I press on the MBP?

fn + apple + f12??

on the imac it's apple + f12