F.lux app ok for iMac 27" 5K screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blast87, Nov 6, 2015.

1. blast87 macrumors member

I just installed the flux app on my new late-2015 iMac 27" 5k. Does anyone know if using the app harms the screen or the computer in anyway?

Its great on the eyes, but if it can somehow damage the screen by constantly changing the colour tone/hue then I will definitely delete it

Thanks in advance

2. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

I sure hope not, it's my favorite app. I've never noticed any problems when it's not on, on any of my monitors.

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I don't think it will harm your screen in any way. It is a great application and is used by many.
    I have been looking for a solution to fight eye fatigue myself and finally decided to choose the "hardware option", so I bought Gunnar Intercept Onyx Z glasses the other day. It works.

4. sabester24 macrumors member

I'm curious too...could it damage the screen? I just downloaded f.lux and it's going to take a while to adjust to the orange tint, but I can see the advantage of not gazing at blue light at night time.

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

The only way it could damage the screen was if it caused burn-in. Since that would be a problem whether you are using F.lux or not, it would not relate to the program. All it does is change the color temperature of the screen (and thereby the colors the screen is showing), and you do that anyway when doing something on the computer. So short answer, no it will not harm the screen.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

F.lux just automatically changes something you can do yourself in system preferences.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Software cannot damage hardware, it may not work well with it it may ruin your system but it can't physically damage it.

8. sabester24 macrumors member

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure.

On a side note, are you guys using f.lux? If so, do you like it and/or think it works?

9. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

love f.lux and just wish apple would let the developers get their iOS app on the app store already. Have done the side load, but as it is, no app updates or anything. Best thing I've done to my macs - makes late night screens easy to deal with.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That is absolutely not true.

Love it, although it has issues with switching between screen resolutions, which I do a lot while gaming (Switching between game and desktop). It has made working on my iMac so much better in the evenings.

11. sabester24 macrumors member

Do you just leave it on the default setting? I guess it will just take some getting used to- the orange tint was definitely easier on my eyes...

12. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I adore f.lux. Turned it down though, the default setting was REALLY orange. Now it just warms the screen up so to say. I wish they had an Android version.

13. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I have used it for a few days. And I simply cannot accept the very yellow image it produces. So I quickly uninstalled it again. I much prefer looking at my calibrated screen over that yellow stuff :)

14. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

I switch between the recommended setting, which goes very orange indeed about 8 or 9 hours before wake up time, and the 'classic' mode, which doesn't go as orange. You can check that out from the menu bar icon and decide what works best for you, or choose custom colours for different periods of the day if you so wish. When the screen goes that very orange hue, it's basically telling you it's time for bed anyway, and I never seem to use the computer for very long in that mode. overall the effect is definitely positive for me, in terms of sleep patterns. There's a fair discussion on the f.lux forum about the different modes and how to tweak things, so you might want to check that out. Things like if you are working late, there is a check box to stretch the colour profiles so that it doesn't go orange until later on than normal.

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Try Twilight on Android - it's pretty similar.