F.lux -- just downloaded

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ecwhite4S, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

So I just downloaded f.lux last night, and I'm pretty thrilled. My eyes def feel less strained reading my phone at night now it's an excellent free tweak. But few questions: it probably doesn't, but does anyone know if f.lux has an effect on battery? And also, it says you must run location services in order for f.lux to work, but I have my location off and its working just fine...is that out of the ordinary? Oh one more thing, on Cydia it says you can edit in settings and that f.lux doesnt have a homescreen icon, but I have a homescreen icon....Maybe it's a newer version and the description on cydia isn't updated??

Haha, any comment/feedback is appreciated...

2. BumpyFlatline, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Location services need to be enabled when you install and run it for the first time. This is just so flux can determine your location so it knows when to turn on at night and off in the morning. The only battery effect it really has is when the screen changes color. But once the color has changed, I notice zero effect between an orange screen and blue screen. So I believe the devs claims that the only significant battery hit is when it turns on and off. And even then it's negligible. Once it determines your location, lication services do not need to be on. If you ever notice that it turns on too early at night, make sure you turn on location services first, then just tap the app on your springboard, then tap on location. It will ping your location on the map and will update the sunset and sunrise times in your area. Then you can close the app and turn off location services. From that point forward, flux will turn on much closer to the actual sunset time for your location.

I LOVE flux! Easily one of my favorites and must have tweaks because I do a ton of reading at night before bed.

EDIT: Youre correct that the cydia description does not mention the springboard app but if you look at the most recent changes in the changelog you'll see that the devs recently added the springboard app. It's a new feature. A fantastic one too because you can update the time flux turns on by using the location tab at the bottom of the screen. I live in the northeast so the sunset times vary from 4:30pm in December to 8pm in the summer. So it's important that users can update flux to turn on at the correct time.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

4. ecwhite4S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you bumpy! I appreciate the thorough response, you answered all my questions and then some. :) This is probably one of my favorite tweaks. I can't believe how much of a relief it is to stare at yellow screen at night compared to the more original blue. Makes me actually feel more relaxed.

Labman, did you just find out about f.lux from my post? Tell your eyes I said you're welcome. :) I can't say enough how much I love this tweak, everyone who has a jailbroken iDevice should get it!

5. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I don't get why this isn't just standard on the iPhone, when it makes so much sense, and it helps with sleep if you use electronics late at night. I have it on my iPhone and PC both of which I use late at night, and notice that when it's off, it's such a strain on the eyes (I can tell cause it turns off after a respring, and I'm all like QUICK CHANGE IT CHANGE IT). They should probably fix that, but now I'm just ranting.

anyway, great tweak, love it, and have for a while. I feel special when I'm in a theater before a movie starts, everyone has their phones out, and I like to look at their phones, and see the blue glow, then look at mine and see the orange and think "Yea, I'm better than you :p"

6. ecwhite4S thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume not, but this won't have any negative effect on the screen overtime right?

7. Eahdawn macrumors member

8. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I really like F.lux. Although, I have Springtomize 2 installed and lowering the blue channel just a little seems to work well. I've since uninstalled F.lux to have one less mobile substrate add-on. :)