F12 does not open DVD tray

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ericstjohn, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ericstjohn macrumors newbie

First, thanks so much for an area geared toward us who are finally coming to our senses and ditching our PCs. Not that there's anything wrong w/PCs -I'm just too old for the aggravation. Besides, I have a February deadline.
    SO... my first question is: where can I get a quick start to "take control" of my brand new used G5 late '05 2.3 dual core Power Mac? I'm accustomed to going to device manager to check on things, update or disable drivers, partition, reformat, set selective start-up, you know; all that. I bookmarked something like Switch 101 and am left shy of the depths I wish to go.
    I've fiddled with an acquaintance's MacBook Pro and found it somewhat intuitive, so navigation in and around the apps won't be too difficult to switch over to but how can I do something like pick and choose what I want to show up in my task bar or whatever the Macquivalent is.
    And secondly, F12 opens the Dashboard not the DVD tray. Option F12 doesn't help. Unless I need to literally "hold F12 until the open tray appears..." or something like that. That hasn't worked either.
    Thanks in advance. I'm sure I won't regret the switch. I've been threatening to for the last three or four years; five of which is my level of PC-ing. A "Dangerous Noob", I call myself sometimes, haha!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you have an Apple Keyboard, it'll have a dedicated eject key, and so do some PC keyboards. If not, holding down the F12 key for about 2 seconds usually does the trick. If you're having trouble with that, you can install a small program that sits in your menubar that allows you to quickly pop open the tray by clicking on it. Here's the guide: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/05/22/mac-101-eject-button-in-the-menu-bar/

jW

3. ericstjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

@Mal

Thanks for the tips. This'd be a "duhhhh!" moment. I did snag up an Apple Pro kb and it does have a dedicated eject button right up thar in the right hand top corner! Duhhhh.
    Okay, I guess that hurdle's done with. From now on, I reckon it's forum jumping time until I get up to speed. Any referrals to forums for quick starting a Windows switchover would be appreciated. You know, how to boss around a Mac like you do an XP Pro machine.
    Cheers!
    Eric
    Taos, NM by way Sunny Florida