F2117LP = SMC ? 17" Unibody won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbsmacrumors, Jan 12, 2012.

1. tbsmacrumors macrumors newbie

My 17" unibody won't charge anymore but will work off the wall charger. A local repair place that works on windows machines more than apple products says the bad part on my machine has this on it.

F2117lp
    2h v
    ACO3137
    0914jpn

Is this the SMC and where can I find one? Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. tbsmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. I tried the smc reset, and I tried another charger that works fine on my mb pro 15. No luck. I was playing around with an aftermarket external battery and their connector and got a brief spark or arc at the magsafe connector , since then it won't charge. I have a local shop that repairs logic boards but I need to help them find the part , they mostly work on Windows laptops.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Personally, I wouldn't let anyone but Apple touch my Macs. I especially wouldn't let a repair shop that isn't intimately familiar and experienced with Macs do any work on mine, but that's your call. Good luck!

5. tbsmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

i hear ya, they already repaired a mb pro 15 my kids spilled milk on so i know they can do the work. They are local and their prices are reasonable so I don't mind trying to help them locate the part.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know if it'll help, but you might try searching the iFixit.com site, since they do teardowns of Macs.

7. tbsmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i will look into that too, meanwhile if anyone can tell me if that part # is an smc and where to get one that would be great

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. binz macrumors newbie

Yes, it's SMC, and you can get it from mouser.com, BUT it won't work, because it has to be programmed before you can put it back.