Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

F2117LP = SMC ? 17" Unibody won't charge

tbsmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
My 17" unibody won't charge anymore but will work off the wall charger. A local repair place that works on windows machines more than apple products says the bad part on my machine has this on it.

F2117lp
2h v
ACO3137
0914jpn

Is this the SMC and where can I find one? Thanks

tbsmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for replying. I tried the smc reset, and I tried another charger that works fine on my mb pro 15. No luck. I was playing around with an aftermarket external battery and their connector and got a brief spark or arc at the magsafe connector , since then it won't charge. I have a local shop that repairs logic boards but I need to help them find the part , they mostly work on Windows laptops.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for replying. I tried the smc reset, and I tried another charger that works fine on my mb pro 15. No luck. I was playing around with an aftermarket external battery and their connector and got a brief spark or arc at the magsafe connector , since then it won't charge. I have a local shop that repairs logic boards but I need to help them find the part , they mostly work on Windows laptops.
Personally, I wouldn't let anyone but Apple touch my Macs. I especially wouldn't let a repair shop that isn't intimately familiar and experienced with Macs do any work on mine, but that's your call. Good luck!

Comment

tbsmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
i hear ya, they already repaired a mb pro 15 my kids spilled milk on so i know they can do the work. They are local and their prices are reasonable so I don't mind trying to help them locate the part.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i hear ya, they already repaired a mb pro 15 my kids spilled milk on so i know they can do the work. They are local and their prices are reasonable so I don't mind trying to help them locate the part.
I don't know if it'll help, but you might try searching the iFixit.com site, since they do teardowns of Macs.

Comment

tbsmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
thanks i will look into that too, meanwhile if anyone can tell me if that part # is an smc and where to get one that would be great

Comment

binz

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
My 17" unibody won't charge anymore but will work off the wall charger. A local repair place that works on windows machines more than apple products says the bad part on my machine has this on it.

F2117lp
2h v
ACO3137
0914jpn

Is this the SMC and where can I find one? Thanks

Yes, it's SMC, and you can get it from mouser.com, BUT it won't work, because it has to be programmed before you can put it back.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.