F8 Key oddness

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spwwuk, Jan 10, 2011.

1. spwwuk macrumors newbie

I've posted this problem on the Apple forum but no solution yet:

When I press the F8 key it opens the Accounts Preference Pane. I have no keyboard shortcut implemented for F8 so there is no immediate evidence as to why this is happening. I've tried resetting the PRAM and tried a different keyboard (the older 2006 style plastic model) but to no effect. If I try one of the newer aluminium keyboards the F8 key launches iTunes but launches the same Accounts Pref if I use fn+F8.

Any help much appreciated.

System OSX 10.6.5, Quad Core Intel Mac, 12Gb RAM.

2. spwwuk thread starter macrumors newbie

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

You got the use as standard function keys option checked in keyboard system preferences?

4. spwwuk thread starter macrumors newbie

That option seems to have been removed in OS10.6, but thanks for your suggestion. I have, after some more investigation, discovered what the problem was: Max Menus had become corrupted and inserted the F8/Accounts Pref shortcut as a key command. I had not immediately considered this as I wasn't aware of the keyboard shortcut option in this add-on. Problem now solved!

5. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Just to clarify things, the standard functions keys option that's in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboards tab hasn't been removed from 10.6.