F8 (play/pause) button triggering iTunes and VLC player on 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petrucci666, Oct 23, 2009.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I got my new 13" MBP two weeks ago and I've been using the F8 button solely for playing and pausing songs in iTunes. I think it's great to have this because I can easily stop my music when I want to watch a youtube video and the audio is coming from somewhere else and not iTunes for example

The problem is, whenever I press the F8 button now, it stops the song in iTunes but it starts playing a video in VLC...I checked both system preferences and VLC preferences but couldn't find anywhere to control what the F8 button controls.

I would like it only to be connected to iTunes...any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

i had this problem as well. The only solution I know of is to close VLC player completely.

3. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured it out!

It's in the VLC preferences, it must have slipped my eye when I was looking for it. Anyway, I'm using VLC 1.0.2. "Goldeneye" and under 'preferences' you have 'input', then uncheck 'Control playback with media keys' and make sure to click Save in the bottom right corner of the preferences page to make sure it saves the command because it's not like some apps where you just click something and it's automatiically saved.