Face Detection in Google Photos App Now Recognizes Cats and Dogs by Name

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google updated its Photos app on Monday with a new facial recognition feature that lets users organize pictures of their family pets more easily.

Since it was launched, Google Photos has employed facial recognition to identify humans and help users sort their snaps by friend or family member, similar to how Faces works in Apple Photos.

The latest version of Google's own photos app builds on its face detection feature by recognizing cats and dogs by name, so users no longer need to type in "cat" or "dog" into the search field to bring up the relevant pictures.

Going forward, simply labeling a photo of a furry friend will cause any other photos of the cat or dog to be grouped under that name, just like they do for people.

In addition to the pet grouping feature, Google says users can also now "search by breed to see photos of your Poodle or Maine Coon", or even search using a single cat or dog emoji.

The new pet detection naturally feeds into the app's automated movie generator, found in the Assistant view, and users can create their own short films by tapping on the new photo group of their pet, selecting their favorite pictures, and tapping the "+" symbol.

Google has also included six "pet-inspired songs" to choose from in the movie editor to be twinned with four-legged family collections.

Google Photos is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Face Detection in Google Photos App Now Recognizes Cats and Dogs by Name

2. deany, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Surprised this wasn't already available as most cat and dog owners consider their pets to be a part of the Family anyway.

3. tritter macrumors newbie

tritter

4. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

People will think this is silly, but I really want this feature to come to photos on the iphone.

5. SmugMaverick macrumors member

SmugMaverick

LOL

Apple don't give a crap about AI, they're all about animoji as software innovation.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I don't want strangers to know what I look like.

7. underkuerbis macrumors member

"No one knows you're a dog on the Internet!"

8. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

I don't know you personally, but usually people who keep their own pictures off the cloud fail in this endeavor as soon as a relative or friend uses a cloud service like Google's to store your picture.

Just saying.

Either way, if Google Photos was local-only WITH all the AI and smartness I'd be down for it in a heartbeat on my Android, it's a shame really.

This applies to more Google apps really, Photos is the most sensitive one for me though. That and messaging.

Glassed Silver:ios

9. WBRacing macrumors 65816

Hope you don't have a Facebook account then!

10. jacksmith21006 macrumors member

jacksmith21006

Finally. Been waiting for this. We have had a lot of dogs through the years and it is a lot easier to have them all labeled to bring them up.

Google Photos is an example of where Google just really nailed a product.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Oh great. Now parents everywhere will be busted when Rover dies and they opt to surreptitiously swap him out to avoid giving little Sally the bad news.

12. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

This must be that ‘innovation’ we’re so badly missing with our Apple devices. Call me back when google has a product that can rival a Mac.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Sarcasm noted. You do realize this is a software feature of Google Photos. So at best, your snarky comment would be better suited if you compared it to Apple's Photos app.

14. Rojaaemon macrumors regular

My dog is soooo excited about this!

My cat, not so much. He doesn't do social media.

15. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

This is completely ridiculous, yet I know at least a dozen people who will welcome this.

16. DoctorDoctor Suspended

They do. The new Pixelbook. Well, rivals a Mac in price anyways. :)

17. brueck macrumors regular

Wasn't this supposed to be a new feature in iOS 11 and high sierra?

18. HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

Yes, and Google's customers are the products that get nailed. :rolleyes:

19. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Good thing iOS does it all on the phone, then.

20. samcraig, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

Why do (some) Apple users think they aren't the product? Perhaps because Apple isn't AS successful with their ad network, etc?

I mean - Google pays Apple a hefty sum to be the search engine on iPhones which most people use.

Apple and Google have pretty much the same privacy policies and opt outs.

If you are an Apple user and you think you are not ALSO a product, then you're burying your head in the sand.

21. shamino macrumors 68040

shamino

I will. Or I would if I used Google Photos.

I have a lot of pictures of my cats and I have to manually drag/drop them into albums so I can sync my cat pictures to my phone, along with pictures of the family. It would be great if I could tag them and let facial recognition do all the selection for me.

22. HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

Oh, I know Apple capitalizes on our data, too, but Google's business model is next-level, in terms of turning big data into ad revenue. My comment was inspired by the humor leading up to it combined with Google's skill at capitalizing on data it gathers from us.

23. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

LOL.

24. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

A friend of mine actually now is desperately waiting for some horse face recognition (not for him, indeed for his many horses).

25. galaxycat macrumors newbie

Year old post but yes this is innovation In some peoples opinions. Just because it’s not to you doesn’t mean Google should be bashed for it.