Face dialing not Facetime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamonster, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I'm bringing my new phone in today for the same problem I had with my last one. The camera is much better than my last one but it's doing the same thing when I'm talking to someone. Yesterday I was talking to a buddy and all of the sudden he was on speaker phone and a Facetime call was started. When I hung up I noticed that the keyboard had pressed the 5 button several times too.

My question is there a fix for this? Is it hardware or software? I've read both here and the fact that apple gave me a new phone last time I'm thinking it's hardware. :confused:

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

You are referring to the proximity sensor. Steve Jobs noted that they are aware of this issue and are currently looking into it.

My guess is that it's software. But that's just MY guess.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I don't think its software, but that is just my hunch. Be hard to explain why something that worked fine (code-wise) through 3 revisions of the phone would suddenly break. Is the prox sensor a new chip?

4. Lamonster thread starter macrumors regular

Lamonster

Just got back from the apple store and they would not replace the phone this time and said there is a software fix coming for the prox sensor. That was a 150 mile round trip for nothing. Hope this will fix the problem.

5. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Maybe you should call first next time, why would you drive 75 miles to get your phone replaced for something that you know a fix is coming out for.

6. Boushwam macrumors newbie

i have found this to be the most frustrating thing about the phone yet as well. Sure I've had lost signal by holding the 'death grip' areas, but more-so I was constantly muting, hanging up, or bringing up other contacts my my cheeks contacting the screen due to a 'faulty' proximity sensor. After hearing the press conference news and deciding waiting for another software update was too long away I called and spoke to Apple tech support last night. He advised me to sync like normal, do a manual backup (right click on the device listing on the left panel in iTunes on PC or CTRL-click on Mac and select backup from the drop down menu; as an added insurance policy), and then do a fresh restore. Upon the restore, I set my phone up as a new iPhone all over again and resynced the things I wanted on the phone and I must admit this has corrected the problem I was having. He didn't guarantee this would solve the problem but recommended it as a first step before heading to the store for an exchange (he first mentioned repair but why would I wait for a repair on a brand new phone that is still within the first 30 days of purchase?) Just my situation and I am very pleased; of course I had to go through the nuisance of resetting up everything, losing game progress, etc. but well worth the trouble to have the proximity sensor work at last. Good luck

7. Lamonster thread starter macrumors regular

Lamonster

I did call and that is what they told me to do. I won't even get into all the run around I've gone through on this phone with at&t and apple. I'm just telling you what happened today.

8. XCoNEPSILON macrumors member

XCoNEPSILON

Jobs said the next software update will address this issue.

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

this is outrageous....phone calls go into speaker, hold, mute, or end call....ill just use my headset