Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandthunder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
SO Face ID had been working like a charm all day.. last night, I take out my contact lenses (7X power, pretty strong) and Face ID stops working for me? Is that subtle change enough for it to get confused? I put my contacts back in this AM and Face ID is back to normal?

Anyone else experiencing this?

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
SO Face ID had been working like a charm all day.. last night, I take out my contact lenses (7X power, pretty strong) and Face ID stops working for me? Is that subtle change enough for it to get confused? I put my contacts back in this AM and Face ID is back to normal?

No. It isn’t a retinal scanner and it is designed to ignore glasses, etc.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
No. It isn’t a retinal scanner and it is designed to ignore glasses, etc.

Maybe your contacts "light up" under infra red? Do you or a friend have a cheap night vision security camera around with infra red illumination? Take a look at yourself with the contacts on with that.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Try rescanning your face with the contacts out and then put them back. Maybe that will work.

I switch between contacts and glasses and happened to be wearing glasses yesterday. I took them off to set up Face ID and unlocking has worked with and without wearing them. I’ve yet to put in my contacts.

The5thElephant

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011

Yes exact same experience. Put my contacts back in and it works every time. Take them out and it works maybe 1/5 times.

Reactions: Pjmurphy.77

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Opposite experience. Works for me every time with or without contacts. With glasses (black framed). Even worked this morning in the dark.

Sharms22

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017

Same issue. Contact lenses 8.5X power. Even when I set up without contacts it works with contacts but not when I take them out.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I wonder if this is relative to a specific brand of contact lenses that may have an unusual coating?

Can you all please post up your contact lens brand/type?

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I wear Acuvue Vita and the Face ID works well with or with out contacts in. When I wear my glasses, face ID works 9/10 times.

Update: Just got my brand new glasses and Face ID works with them! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Arni99

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Johnson & Johnson 1 day Acuvue Moist with Lacreon

Crap, of course that's my brand and type. My X doesn't arrive for another week so this is concerning.

There is an option in Face ID settings that doesn't require the phone to check your eyes to unlock. I think it's called 'facial awareness' or something. Can you turn that off and see if it solves your problem?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have a feeling it might have to do with the power of our prescription vs the brand of contacts. I’m a over 10x. My husband is a 3x and has no problem.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have a feeling it might have to do with the power of our prescription vs the brand of contacts. I’m a over 10x. My husband is a 3x and has no problem.

#contactlensgate

Can you try to turn off the "attention awareness" option in Face ID settings and see if that solves the problem? I believe that's a setting that ignores the eyes completely in the process.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013

How close were you holding the phone?

FaceID doesn't work well when it's too close to your face as I found out last night.

Reactions: SparklyApple

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I just tried this, took out my contacts --6.75 power in both eyes - and put on my glasses. And Face ID is working fine. Maybe mine aren’t strong enough? Mine are Alcon Air Optix Day & Night

Pjmurphy.77

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
Dublin, OH
Hmm hard contacts or soft?
Soft
[doublepost=1510014715][/doublepost]
How close were you holding the phone?

FaceID doesn't work well when it's too close to your face as I found out last night.
That’s a good point. When I take my contacts out at night I’m literally an inch from the phone just because I am blind without them. LOL.

Sharms22

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
I turned off require attention for Face ID and it did not work. I tried holding the phone at different distances from my face (2 inches to 36 inches) and nothing worked.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Just got my iPhone X tonight, I will experiment with contacts on and off as well as glasses tomorrow and let you know if I have any updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.