Face ID feature suggestion (extra security)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rayban, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

A feature I'd like to see with Face ID would be to have the phone automatically lock (if it's on and unlocked) when it detects an unrecognized face. Would be nice in a public place in case someone tries to swipe your phone while unlocked. This would also ease the people paranoid that someone will pickup their phone and just point it at you and they're in. With this feature if they unlock it with your face, it automatically locks when the thief tries to actually use the phone.
    A setting for a timeout and to turn the feature off because I know many people hand their phone over to friends and family to show them videos/pictures/ect. Don't really know if this will ever reach Apple but maybe if this idea gains some popularity they'll look into it :)

What do you think?

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Sounds like it would use more battery not to mention other things.

3. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I think that if you live in a place where you have to worry so much about theft you probably shouldn't be purchasing a $1200 smartphone.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I don't think it matters where you live. Given the short supply, you probably shouldn't show or tell anyone at least for several months that you have an iPhone X to be safe.

5. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

In a perfect reality it would do this, but in this reality we cannot allow the sensors to run constantly due to finite battery capacity. That is the only reason it doesn’t.

6. PeLaNo macrumors regular

PeLaNo

Isn’t it constantly look for your face ?
    They have a feature with iPhone X that if you look at screen it won’t turn off.