Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
any less than 50% brightness and neither my wife of myself can get Face ID to work in the dark. This is on two different phones. The downside is that when scrolling in bed, the brightness needs to be more or less all the way up to unlock. Not conducive to a relaxing experience. Seems to be slightly less of an issue when standing than laying down, but only slightly.

Otherwise, love the phone

ducxhoang

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
any less than 50% brightness and neither my wife of myself can get Face ID to work in the dark. This is on two different phones. The downside is that when scrolling in bed, the brightness needs to be more or less all the way up to unlock. Not conducive to a relaxing experience. Seems to be slightly less of an issue when standing than laying down, but only slightly.

That's odd. It's supposed to work in the dark. Even in pitch black...

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
What does screen brightness have to do with Face ID? Mine works better in the dark, hasn't failed once yet.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
What does screen brightness have to do with Face ID? Mine works better in the dark, hasn't failed once yet.

I was assuming that seeing as Face ID worked at full screen brightness and stopped working at about 70% brightness, that maybe it’s being helped by the fact that the screen is illuminating our faces when we look at it. Whatever the case, this is the scenario we have at the moment.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Definitely doesn’t work (for us) at the lower brightness levels. I’ll rescan my face again tomorrow during day and see if it makes a difference.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

i don't think the screen brightness has anything to do with it.

for example.. just turned my brightness all the way down.. then additionally covered the display except for the cameras..
made the room completely dark..

faceID worked fine

?

-----------
[edit] just saw your post right above mine so...
nevermind :)

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I may have had the issue because when I did FaceID the phone was a bit too close to my face and probably did not get all of my head. So I held my arm further out, did the scan where my entire head was in the image finder. Works much better now in both light and dark.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009

thats odd it works for me in a completely lightless room

also you might want to do the 2 Profile Trick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.